[net.micro.amiga] PAL Amiga

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (09/25/86)

/* chomp */

In addition to a different Agnus chip, as Dale Luck has
pointed out, a PAL Amiga will need some different passive
components to support the MC1377 used to generate composite
video. I don't have a data sheet at my fingertips, but am
sure that the 3.58 MHz crystal will need to be replaced
with a 4.43 MHz crystal for PAL composite video output.
It would appear that Agnus is responsible for video timing,
so a PAL Agnus would mean the RGB outputs had the PAL
scan timing. None of this could be accomplished by software.

					sjk
					...!utzoo!dciem!king

/* I am not a fiction author 					*/
/* these are my views, and not necessarily anyone elses 	*/
/* Open flame invitation - help me cut down on the heating bill */

In article <1958@dciem.UUCP> king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:

>In addition to a different Agnus chip, as Dale Luck has
>pointed out, a PAL Amiga will need some different passive
>components to support the MC1377 used to generate composite
>video. I don't have a data sheet at my fingertips, but am
>sure that the 3.58 MHz crystal will need to be replaced
>with a 4.43 MHz crystal for PAL composite video output.
>It would appear that Agnus is responsible for video timing,
>so a PAL Agnus would mean the RGB outputs had the PAL
>scan timing. None of this could be accomplished by software.

This is basically correct, although it is a little more complicated than
described above.  I suppose we could post a conversion schematic, but
some of the parts are not easily obtainable.

These differences are why the initial shipments of Amiga's to Europe are
effectivly RGB only.  Since the European sales people wanted to bundle
the Amiga's with monitors in any case, shipping them as RGB only systems
made more sense than making everyone wait until a special PAL system and
supporting software was ready.
--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr