[net.micro.amiga] CLI on a terminal.

jlc@whuxl.UUCP (CODONA) (09/25/86)

This is my first posting to the net so ...

	Can anyone tell me how to attach a cli to ser: such that it
will actually be usable from a terminal?  I know that

run newcli ser:

almost works, but it requires a line padded out with blanks or something
to some ridiculous length before it gives a response and then it doesn't
seem to understand.  Also, how about such simple things as echoing characters
back to the terminal?

	I know I can write a C program that acts as a go-between for the
terminal and a cli via Execute(), but I am hoping for a trivial, "instant
solution" of the type I have learned here on the net many times already.

Thanks in advance,

Johanan L. Codona
(...!ihnp4!whuxl!jlc)

P.S.  My employers know nothing of this, so don't blame them, blame me.
Why not, they do! B^)

	On this, does anyone know the criteria for NEWCLI accepting non-windows
for it's window argument?

	On the ser: device... your outa' luck.  The input buffering is a
'feature' of ser:... however, if NEWCLI accepts ser: as an argument, I see
no reason for it to screw up the input processing once it *does* get a
buffer full... try using LineFeeds (^j) instead of Returns (^m).  This is
why you usually attach a newcli to a CON: device and not a RAW: device.

	Also, the CON: device does input buffering and echo.

	The only solution I see to offering a CLI process on the serial
port or on a separate screen is for some brave soul to write a DOS device
driver for it.

-----
Question: Where does OpenWorkbench() go to get it's Screen parameters?
Specifically, the width and height (or am I wishing?)?

				-Matt

Q: What do you get when you hand OpenScreen() a width of 50?
A: FireWorks

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (09/27/86)

In article <1262@whuxl.UUCP> jlc@whuxl.UUCP (CODONA) writes:

>	Can anyone tell me how to attach a cli to ser: such that it
>will actually be usable from a terminal?

    I think the Metacomco Toolkit includes an AUX: device which will
do what you want.  I don't know if the Toolkit is commercially
available yet.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/27/86)

>	Can anyone tell me how to attach a cli to ser: such that it
>will actually be usable from a terminal?

if you don't mind spending $50, metacomco will sell you an AUX: handler
that will (supposedly) accomplish what you want.  (you also get a bunch
of other things, including a pipe handler, a semi-intelligent disassembler,
a clone of "more", a librarian...).  ask for the "toolbox".
otherwise, you can find a copy of the disassembly of port-handler that
john toebes did long ago and hack it up so that it does character-at-a-time
or possibly line-buffered i/o.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

rmariani@watmum.UUCP (Rico Mariani) (09/29/86)

MetaCompco has released an AmigaDOS toolkit disks which among other things
includes a device driver called aux: whose misson in life is to allow
you to have a CLI out on the serial port.  It basically provides "cooked"
input w/o buffering.  It's real handy, I've already had a friend "log in"
to my Amiga over a modem and do stuff.  The biggest problem (feature?)
is that when the guy on the serial port asks for a volume that isn't
mounted, the requestor pops up on the "console", it's distracting to say
the least.

Also on this disk is the infamous pipe: driver as advertised on Beta 4 (?)
of kickstart.  That's real handy too.

The only other really useful thing on the disk is an object disassembler
which works on executables rather than on .o files like "omd".

	-Rico

DISCLAIMER: Nobody at UW has any idea that I'm saying this so leave them alone

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (09/29/86)

Actually, on the Metocomo toolkit disk, there is a device called AUX:
which handles remoter CLI's as you would expect. NewCLI > AUX: does
what you want. (They also have a PIPE: device) It would seem that
it should also be possible to modify one of the shells around here
to open the SER: device and use it for I/O. Maybe it needs a command
line switch rather than the redirection.

--
--Chuck McManis

>what you want. (They also have a PIPE: device) It would seem that
>it should also be possible to modify one of the shells around here
>to open the SER: device and use it for I/O. Maybe it needs a command
>line switch rather than the redirection.

	Can't. SER: buffers its input and is completely useless in that
respect.

				-Matt

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (10/01/86)

In article <8609260632.AA26339@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

> 	On this, does anyone know the criteria for NEWCLI accepting non-windows
> for it's window argument?
>
> 	On the ser: device... your outa' luck.  The input buffering is a
> 'feature' of ser:... however, if NEWCLI accepts ser: as an argument, I see
> no reason for it to screw up the input processing once it *does* get a
> buffer full... try using LineFeeds (^j) instead of Returns (^m).  This is
> why you usually attach a newcli to a CON: device and not a RAW: device.
It is possible to modify the port-handler - unsupported of course - to run
a newcli over the ser: device.  I have done it several times and have done
some work to allow one to say
    newcli ser:9600,8,n,1,I
But at the current point in time I have only got a copy of a version that does
not compile.  I have not posted this because I have a request in to CBM (now
quite an old request) for a definition of what form of AMIGADOS device handlers
will be supported.  As the frustration factor is getting high on getting this
resolved, I am tempted to break the cobwebs off the code and post it.

> 	Also, the CON: device does input buffering and echo.
>
> 	The only solution I see to offering a CLI process on the serial
> port or on a separate screen is for some brave soul to write a DOS device
> driver for it.
The problem we have here is twofold:  There is no supported way to write a
device driver that will work with 1.1.  Second, the documented way of making
a driver work under 1.2 has not worked for me yet.  Doing the CLI on a separate
screen is quite simple.  Jack Rouse has already done the major part of the
work for it in MAKE.  It handles all the I/O to a device other than a CON:
window under program control.  It needs some polish but could be readily
adapted to a number of different attacks on the subject, including adding
command line recall to a window.  But where's the time for us to do all this
work....

> Q: What do you get when you hand OpenScreen() a width of 50?
> A: FireWorks
Try a height of 1 and a width of 1.  It is also just as unpleasant.  I wanted
POPCLI to use that size to reduce the amount of memory.  I finally went with
a nice save number like 120 by 12.

      John Toebes
--
John A. Toebes, VIII       usenet:..mcnc!rti-sel!sas!toebes
USnail: 235 Trillingham Ln, Cary NC 27511   BBS:(919)471-6436