[net.micro.amiga] Inappropriate comments about drugs

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/29/86)

(I've directed followups to net.rec.drugs, which I suppose we'll
 have to name "talk.drugs" one of these days...)

In article <1958@videovax.UUCP>, stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice) writes:
>         ...public perceptions of drug abuse have been warped by the
> Timothy Learys and the other prominent proponents of drugs as recreation.
> Recently, the national mood has begun to shift against drug use as the
> deaths of Len Bias and others great and small have shown the dangers
> inherent in drugs...
> the United States is beginning to face the enormity of the problem.

The only serious problem with drug use is that it is illegal.  It wasn't
illegal in 1900 and the country survived -- and in better style than now.

Isadora Duncan died from riding in a convertible with a scarf on, are
you going to make convertibles and scarfs illegal because a famous
person died that way?

I don't gauge the "national mood" by what I read in the papers or by
politicians' press releases.  Talk to a few of your friends instead.

Laws will come and laws will go, but drugs are here to stay.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
		     May the Source be with you!

stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (10/01/86)

In article <3689@ism780c.UUCP>, Tim Smith (tim@ism780c.UUCP) writes:

> Nearly any recreational activity is dangerous if done recklessly.  Drugs
> are no exception.  Under proper conditions, many drugs can be very fun
> and as safe as many other common, more accepted forms of recreation.
> Sure, some drugs are very bad ( heroin, for example ), but many others
> have reputations far worse than they deserve ( LSD, 'shrooms ).

Ah, yes!  The old propaganda of the late 60s and early 70s, all over
again!  That may play in Whistleville, but not to anyone who has seen
the wreckage left by these so-called "safe" drugs.  Remember Red Skelton's
daughter, who stepped out a fifth-floor window while on "safe" LSD?

A high-school friend of mine had LSD slipped into his beer by a so-called
"friend" during the ecstatic early days of acid's popularity.  The bad
trip that followed landed him in Warm Springs (Montana's state mental
hospital) for months.  My family and I drove over periodically to see
him in the hospital as he fought to recover.

When my friend finally improved enough to be released, he was a shell
of his former self.  With his artistic abilities gone and his intellect
throttled, he works at menial jobs to support himself.

In article <1147@hoptoad.uucp>, John Gilmore (gnu@hoptoad.uucp) writes:

> The only serious problem with drug use is that it is illegal.  It wasn't
> illegal in 1900 and the country survived -- and in better style than now.

True, most drugs were not illegal in 1900.  A rising tide of abuse led to
a public outcry that resulted in their being declared illegal only a few
years later.

> Isadora Duncan died from riding in a convertible with a scarf on, are
> you going to make convertibles and scarfs illegal because a famous
> person died that way?

What is the cost/benefit ratio to individuals and to our society of each
activity?  Why is it that teenagers (and others) regularly die on the
streets of Portland of drug overdoses, yet I haven't (in the eleven years
I've been here) heard of an accidental death caused by a scarf?

> I don't gauge the "national mood" by what I read in the papers or by
> politicians' press releases.  Talk to a few of your friends instead.

I have -- with results that are apparently at variance with John's latest
poll. . .

> Laws will come and laws will go, but drugs are here to stay.

So is murder.  That "drugs are here to stay" is a reason for encouraging
their use???

Nice try, guys -- redirecting the conversation to net.nobody-knows-where!
My request was simple.  This is net.micro.amiga, whose purpose is to
disseminate information about the use (and abuse) of Amigas.  If you
want to tell fairy stories about drugs and encourage gullible people to
use them, please do it on net.rec.drugs or some other place where it
belongs.

When your fingers start clamoring to insert even a single line of
pro-drug propaganda into an article in net.micro.amiga, show them
who's boss -- JUST SAY NO!!!!

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (10/03/86)

Most accurate header I've seen in a long time up there.

In article <1973@videovax.UUCP> stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>When your fingers start clamoring to insert even a single line of
>pro-drug propaganda into an article in net.micro.amiga, show them
>who's boss -- JUST SAY NO!!!!

Quite correct, Steve - pro-drug commentary in net.micro.amiga is out
of place. *EXACTLY* as out-of-place as anti-drug commentary in
net.micro.amiga. So....

When your fingers start clamoring to insert even a single line of
anti-drug propaganda into an article in net.micro.amiga, show them
who's boss -- JUST SAY NO!!!!

And before anyone takes me to task - yeah, this didn't belong here,
either.

	<mike

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (10/04/86)

[ Again, followups are being redirected to net.misc ]

In article <1973@videovax.UUCP> stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>the wreckage left by these so-called "safe" drugs.  Remember Red Skelton's
>daughter, who stepped out a fifth-floor window while on "safe" LSD?

I thought it was Art Linkletters daughter.  Perhaps this is an urban
legend?

>A high-school friend of mine had LSD slipped into his beer by a so-called
>"friend" during the ecstatic early days of acid's popularity.  The bad

If you read my posting again, you will see that I said LSD, *when*
*properly* *used* is not anywhere near as bad as its reputation, and
is reasonable safe.  Your example is not a case of proper use.

[ He is now reponding to John Gilmore ]
>What is the cost/benefit ratio to individuals and to our society of each
>activity?  Why is it that teenagers (and others) regularly die on the
>streets of Portland of drug overdoses, yet I haven't (in the eleven years
>I've been here) heard of an accidental death caused by a scarf?

How many deaths have you heard of from beer?  Or from smoking?  How can
you justify these being legal and lsd and marijuana being illegal?

[ He now seems to be reponding to both myself and John Gilmore ]
>Nice try, guys -- redirecting the conversation to net.nobody-knows-where!

Because net.micro.amiga is not the right place, as you say below.

>My request was simple.  This is net.micro.amiga, whose purpose is to
>disseminate information about the use (and abuse) of Amigas.  If you
>want to tell fairy stories about drugs and encourage gullible people to
>use them, please do it on net.rec.drugs or some other place where it
>belongs.

I used a followup-To line in my article.  Why did you bring the topic
back to net.micro.amiga?
--
member, all HASA divisions              POELOD  ECBOMB
					--------------

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
		Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

jim@ism780c.UUCP (Jim Balter) (10/04/86)

In article <1973@videovax.UUCP> stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>Ah, yes!  The old propaganda of the late 60s and early 70s, all over
>again!  That may play in Whistleville, but not to anyone who has seen
>the wreckage left by these so-called "safe" drugs.  Remember Red Skelton's
>daughter, who stepped out a fifth-floor window while on "safe" LSD?

It was Art Linkletter.  At least keep your stories straight.

>Nice try, guys -- redirecting the conversation to net.nobody-knows-where!
>My request was simple.  This is net.micro.amiga, whose purpose is to
>disseminate information about the use (and abuse) of Amigas.  If you
>want to tell fairy stories about drugs and encourage gullible people to
>use them, please do it on net.rec.drugs or some other place where it
>belongs.

JimM had some throwaway line referring to drugs.  You are the one who
turned it into a topic.  Please take your moralizing back to your *.abortion
and *.christian haunts and keep it out of this group.

>When your fingers start clamoring to insert even a single line of
>pro-drug propaganda into an article in net.micro.amiga, show them
>who's boss -- JUST SAY NO!!!!

There is an interesting article over in the arms discussion digest about
dogmatic and rigid personalities.  Basically, if you think the words of
others are propaganda but your own are not, you are mentally disfunctional.
--
-- Jim Balter ({sdcrdcf!ism780c,ima}!jim)