[net.micro.amiga] An Idea for an ambitious programmer. You gotta be kidding.

>From: higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom)
>The exec() and fexec() family of functions are supplied as part of Manx's
>Aztec C library.  They are "trivial" compared to a fork() function.
>
>The big problem would be trying to get the new "clone" of the program to
>start executing in the same "state" as the original.  This would mean
>(as far as I can tell) copying stacks (and adjusting addresses, ugh),
>initializing all the task stuff appropriately to the original... doesn't
>sound easy.  To get the same program running from the BEGINING isn't hard
>by using fexecv().

If the code were re-entrant, you could simply copy stacks and global data
areas... which leaves one problem:

	There is no way on the amiga to duplicate generic file handles.

So much for fork.  Besides, we are having enough trouble with a simple
fexec.	*really* is there anybody at all over at amiga who knows how
to get BCPL programs to work?

----------
One thing I would like to do is startup a CLI window WITH a command (but
still interactive).  (E.G. I want to startup a CLI window with my SHELL
in it)

					-Matt

Update On Shell: Sorry folks, no go with getting it to run from the
workbench.

andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/09/86)

In article <8610090633.AA05968@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>----------
>One thing I would like to do is startup a CLI window WITH a command (but
>still interactive).  (E.G. I want to startup a CLI window with my SHELL
>in it)
>

>					-Matt
>
>Update On Shell: Sorry folks, no go with getting it to run from the
>workbench.

Under V1.2, you will be able to say NEWCLI (window),(from filename) ,
and have the file executed when the new cli starts up.
poof.

			andy finkel

(along with the new ability to switch a DOS window to/from raw mode and
cooked mode, this should give shell writers a boost)
--

			andy finkel
			Commodore(Amiga)

"Remember, no matter where you grow, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonsai.