[net.micro.amiga] Problems with startup for BCPL programs

dillon@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matt Dillon) (10/08/86)

	As you know, for the last couple of months I've been trying to get
BCPL programs to run properly from a manual startup.  Well, using a
combination of Manx's fexec code and my own, I've been able to execute
any program, normal or BCPL, with two exceptions (both BCPL):

	(A) If I change the pr_COS file handle (output redirection), and
	then execute a DOS program such as INFO, only the first 200 bytes
	are redirected.  The rest comes in the window.

	(B) Even if I don't change the input pr_CIS, BCPL programs refuse
	to use it

NOW LOOK C-A, You've helped us with most of the problems we've been having,
but have consistantly refused to discuss BCPL startup requirements.  Could
you *PLEASE* help me out?  All I want (and which is not discussed in any
manual) is a description of what must be set up to get a BCPL program to
go.  I'm positive I've got all the registers correct, but there are things
in the CLI and PROCESS structure, and things in the file-handles, that
must be set in a certain way for which I have not a clue.

					-Matt

james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) (10/09/86)

In article <8610080707.AA05528@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> NOW LOOK C-A, You've helped us with most of the problems we've been having,
> but have consistantly refused to discuss BCPL startup requirements.  Could
> you *PLEASE* help me out?  All I want (and which is not discussed in any
> manual) is a description of what must be set up to get a BCPL program to
> go.  I'm positive I've got all the registers correct, but there are things
> in the CLI and PROCESS structure, and things in the file-handles, that
> must be set in a certain way for which I have not a clue.
>
> 					-Matt

  I couldn't agree more.  One of the MAJOR difficulties I've been having
is understanding AmigaDOS file handles.  I would like to be able to create
my own, but the documentation does not even live up to the classification
"skimpy" when it comes to AmigaDOS details.  I have sent several messages
to the folks at Westchester and Los Gatos, but have received very little
response (mainly a couple of messages saying that I had a hard problem).

  What pisses me off the most, is that Metacomco is able to sell their toolkit,
which contains AmigaDOS devices AUX: and PIPE:.  I can write the exec devices,
but because I am not able to get sufficient info, I haven't the ability
to hook my devices into AmigaDOS.  The major difficulty is with the PIPE:
device.  I want to be able to write a routine like popen() on unix, which
returns 2 file handles, one for each end.  This would be easiest if I where
able to create the structures myself, and fill in the values appropriately.

  It would probably be possible to glean all the neccessary info if I
disassembled some (or all) of the AmigaDOS routines which deal with file
handles.  I've already had to disassemble several Exec routines in order to
discover why my programs weren't working the way I understood from the RKM;
I don't want to have to do it again.  It is a PAIN!
James M Synge, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
VOX: 1 206 543 0308 (Work)   1 206 455 2025 (Home)
UUCP: uw-beaver!geops!uw-atm!james
ARPA: geops!uw-atm!james@beaver.cs.washington.edu