[net.micro.amiga] Modem DTR, SHELL progress

	In this case, I think the serial driver was done right.  Most modems
have switch selectable forced DTR (Well, at least My UsRobotics does.) which
solves the problem quite nicely.  Still, if C-A wanted to be nit-picky I
suppose they could add a 'keep DTR on close' flag to the serial parameters.
Frankly, I think C-A has more important things to worry about.

	For example, when you are trying to backtrace from your current
directory to find the path from root, the RAM: device's FileInfoBlock's
name string is set to "" rather than "RAM" (1.2 Beta 4).  DF0 and DF1's
FIB's are set to the volume name correctly.

	For another example, the RAM: device does not support comment fields
for files (not that I use them anyway).  Frankly, and since it is not
completely supported on all disk devices, I think C-A should replace the
storage taken up by the comment field with something more useful.

						-Matt

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) (10/08/86)

In article <8610070523.AA00515@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

> 	For another example, the RAM: device does not support comment fields
> for files (not that I use them anyway).  Frankly, and since it is not
> completely supported on all disk devices, I think C-A should replace the
> storage taken up by the comment field with something more useful.
>

> 						-Matt

Whoa up there!  I use them...a LOT!  In my opinion this is one of the best
features of the file system.  Any other OS allow this?
--
Tony Sumrall                    ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,sun}!amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

>> 	For another example, the RAM: device does not support comment fields
>> for files (not that I use them anyway).  Frankly, and since it is not
>> completely supported on all disk devices, I think C-A should replace the
>> storage taken up by the comment field with something more useful.
>>

>> 						-Matt
>
>From: acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall)
>Whoa up there!  I use them...a LOT!  In my opinion this is one of the best
>features of the file system.  Any other OS allow this?

	Yah, but the RAM drive doesn't support it.... you use RAM for
temporary storage during a COPY and POW! your comments are lost.  Though
its value for storing non-essential stuff (personal comments) is great,
I can't see ever putting anything *important* in the field.  It would
cause all sorts of problems the least of which being that it would be
difficult to download binaries via <insert every known modem protocol here>.

					-Matt

andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/09/86)

In article <8610082111.AA20217@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>>> 	For another example, the RAM: device does not support comment fields
>>> for files (not that I use them anyway).
>>> 						-Matt
>>
>>From: acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall)
>>Whoa up there!  I use them...a LOT!  In my opinion this is one of the best
>>features of the file system.  Any other OS allow this?
>
>	Yah, but the RAM drive doesn't support it.... you use RAM for
>temporary storage during a COPY and POW! your comments are lost.
>
>					-Matt

I have good news and bad news:
Under V1.2 the RAM: disk supports comment fields. (poof)

That is the good news.

The bad news is that the standard COPY command does not support
copying comment fields. (and didn't under V1.1)

				andy finkel
--

			andy finkel
			Commodore(Amiga)

"Remember, no matter where you grow, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonsai.

wagner@utcs.UUCP (10/10/86)

Maybe someone should write a smarter COPY command anyways.  This one is
very slow.

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)