[net.micro.amiga] Mac Readables

6105530@PUCC.BITNET (Daniel Kimberg) (10/08/86)

My apologies if this has already been raised and killed, but I would
like to produce Macreadable disks with my Amiga, and to convert files
from Amiga to Mac format.  Can anyone tell me if this is possible, and
how, and if not, why not?  Thanks for your help,

                                          -Dan

hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) (10/10/86)

In article <1169@PUCC.BITNET>, 6105530@PUCC.BITNET (Daniel Kimberg) writes:
>              ...Macreadable disks with my Amiga, and to convert files
> from Amiga to Mac format.  Can anyone tell me if this is possible, and
> how, and if not, why not?...

By all means, POST the answer to this one!			!hao!hull

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (10/10/86)

In article <251@hao.UUCP> hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) writes:
>In article <1169@PUCC.BITNET>, 6105530@PUCC.BITNET (Daniel Kimberg) writes:
>>              ...Macreadable disks with my Amiga, and to convert files
>> from Amiga to Mac format.  Can anyone tell me if this is possible, and
>> how, and if not, why not?...
>
>By all means, POST the answer to this one!			!hao!hull

From what I know, the MAC has a variable speed drive.  The drive
turns faster when the head is on the outside tracks.  This makes
it impossible to write MAC disks with an Amiga.

I don't see that there would be a problem converting file formats
though.  It's just that you wouldn't be able to transfer the files
via disk.  You'd have to use XMODEM/KERMIT/?? for that.
--
Marnix A.  van\ Ammers
Home: (707) 644-9781		Work: (415) 545-8334

6105530@PUCC.BITNET (Daniel Kimberg) (10/12/86)

In article <300@pttesac.UUCP>, vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) writes:
>From what I know, the MAC has a variable speed drive.  The drive
>turns faster when the head is on the outside tracks.  This makes
>it impossible to write MAC disks with an Amiga.

6105530@PUCC.BITNET (Daniel Kimberg) (10/12/86)

In article <300@pttesac.UUCP>, vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) writes:
>From what I know, the MAC has a variable speed drive.  The drive
>turns faster when the head is on the outside tracks.  This makes
>it impossible to write MAC disks with an Amiga.

Oops.  Can't believe I did that.  Sorry 'bout that blank message.
Anyhow, I was thinking more along the lines of the Amiga being able to
just write data where the Mac can read it, not have anything resembling
interchangeable disks.  So if the Mac does indeed do that little bit at
the outside tracks [I know pitifully little about the Mac myself,
unfortunately, or I'd take this one on myself], then I'm hoping the
Amiga can at least write at that density.  In other words [I'm having a
hard time expressing this, but] since the disk doesn't know what speed
it was written at, if the Amiga can write in the same places on the same
tracks, at any speed, that might be a long way towards doing the job.
The reason I need this is that I have access to plenty of laserwriters
hooked up to Macs, and also occasionally need to submit articles on
macs, and would rather not have to transfer my files by phone.  Thanks,

                                             -Dan