[net.micro.amiga] Disk Backups

bret@unmvax.UUCP (Bret Thaeler) (10/09/86)

     I was wondering what disk backup programs can sucessfully copy
programs such as Hacker II (which lately has died), the Deluxe Series from
Electronic Arts, Marble Madness, and other copy-protected programs.  I do
not want word-of-mouth type reviews - I want results.  I assure you that
I only need the program for legitimate use - my Hacker II disk died, and
I don't want this to happen again (i.e. with Marble Madness, especially).

     Any help would be appreciated.

                                  Phred the Under-Aged Nuclear Ninja Platypus

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (10/11/86)

In article <403@unmvax.UUCP> bret@unmvax.UUCP (Bret Thaeler) writes:

>     I was wondering what disk backup programs can sucessfully copy
>programs such as Hacker II (which lately has died), the Deluxe Series from
>Electronic Arts, Marble Madness, and other copy-protected programs.  I do
>not want word-of-mouth type reviews - I want results.  I assure you that
>I only need the program for legitimate use - my Hacker II disk died, and
>I don't want this to happen again (i.e. with Marble Madness, especially).
>
>     Any help would be appreciated.
>
>                                  Phred the Under-Aged Nuclear Ninja Platypus

Bret:
	Try Marauder from Discovery Software.  It works very well.  It's
$39.95, I believe, and will copy just about anything.  Marauder II is
coming out soon I believe, which should be marginally simpler to use and
a bit quicker, but I don't know how much it will be.  The original
Marauder DOES do the job though, as I mentioned.

	Paul.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Commodore or Discovery Software, and my opinions
are my own.
`

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (10/14/86)

In article <876@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:
> In article <403@unmvax.UUCP> bret@unmvax.UUCP (Bret Thaeler) writes:
> >     I was wondering what disk backup programs can sucessfully copy
> >programs such as Hacker II (which lately has died), the Deluxe Series from
> >Electronic Arts, Marble Madness, and other copy-protected programs.
>
> 	Try Marauder from Discovery Software.  It works very well.  It's
> $39.95, I believe, and will copy just about anything.  Marauder II is
> coming out soon I believe, which should be marginally simpler to use and
> a bit quicker, but I don't know how much it will be.  The original
> Marauder DOES do the job though, as I mentioned.

Yes, Marauder does work quite well, but be forwarned that the original
release (Marauder I) requires you to physically "adjust" the speed of
your outboard drive on an "adjust and try" basis for same s/w, including
DPrint, DVideo, MarbleMadness, Instant Music, and others.  They have a
"supplement" sheet that they'll send you that tells you how to do this
if you're a registered owner, and send them a SASE.  Also, you can only
do this if you have an NEC drive (the sheet explains how to tell the
drive type without opening the drive up).

The Discovery Software folks have told me twice that Marauder-II will
not require any physical adjustments, and will be released very shortly.
Registered owners will be notified, and will be able to upgrade for a
small fee ($10 ?).  Me, I'm not about to randomly tweak my drive ... I'll
wait for the update!

On the other hand, there are 2 or 3 copy programs on FishDisk #35, one
of which will copy DVideo and MarbleMadness ... probably others using
whatever technique EA is using on these programs.

The war continues ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]