[net.micro.amiga] Dropping DTR on exit from the VT100 emulator

wecker@cookie.dec.com (DAVE TANSTAAFL WECKER) (10/06/86)

OK, I'm donning a flame proof suit....

There has been a lot of discussion lately (mainly pleading) to NOT have DTR
drop when the terminal emulator exits (at least make it configurable). I have
a real problem with this. As far as I can tell, the only way to keep DTR up
is to have at least one process keep the port open. Since the current code
(for several reasons) opens the serial port in EXCLUSIVE mode, no one else
can be using it. In addition, if the program exits and does NOT close
the port, then it will not be able to re-open (or rather regain access
to) it.

Personally, I would like to have the option of a "forced DTR". I am now waiting
for suggestions on the "correct" way to do this. In the mean time, the program
will continue to use EXCLUSIVE access, and WILL close the device upon exit,
causing DTR to drop.

[ removing flame proof suit ]

P.S.	V2.2 has been completed and is being "field-tested" (typing with it
	now), so expect it in a week or so. (If I knew this thing was gonna
	be so popular, I would have gotten some MONEY for it! :-)

Regards,
dave		wecker%cookie.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com	- ARPA
		decwrl!cookie.dec.com!wecker		- USENET

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (10/06/86)

In article <5772@decwrl.DEC.COM> Dave Wecker writes:
>There has been a lot of discussion lately (mainly pleading) to NOT have DTR
>drop when the terminal emulator exits (at least make it configurable). I have
>a real problem with this.

	I do too.  I don wanna no daemon process cluttering up my
process list!!  The SIMPLEST way to avoid DTR drop is to open up your
modem and flip the DIP switch that forces DTR ready.  On Hayes-type
and most Hayes-compatible modems it is easy to do this.  I run my
Avatex modem with DTR forced up all the time, and it causes no
problems; I can even reset my Amiga and run ANY terminal program
(not just the vt100 emulator) and continue to talk to my modem.
I suggest those of your pleading for this to check your modem manual
for how to force DTR high.  I think you'll find most modems have this
feature.

				-Mitsu

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (10/08/86)

In article <5772@decwrl.DEC.COM> wecker@cookie.dec.com (DAVE  TANSTAAFL  WECKER) writes:
>OK, I'm donning a flame proof suit....
>
>There has been a lot of discussion lately (mainly pleading) to NOT have DTR
>drop when the terminal emulator exits (at least make it configurable). I have
[More stuff] ...
>Personally, I would like to have the option of a "forced DTR". I am now waiting
>for suggestions on the "correct" way to do this. In the mean time, the program
>will continue to use EXCLUSIVE access, and WILL close the device upon exit,
>causing DTR to drop.

I could swear that my VT100 program is currently NOT dropping DTR
upon exit.  It's one of the things I found so nice about it.

Marnix

In article <335@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:
>In article <5772@decwrl.DEC.COM> Dave Wecker writes:
>>There has been a lot of discussion lately (mainly pleading) to NOT have DTR
>>drop when the terminal emulator exits (at least make it configurable). I have
>>a real problem with this.
>
>	I do too.  I don wanna no daemon process cluttering up my
>process list!!  The SIMPLEST way to avoid DTR drop is to open up your
>modem and flip the DIP switch that forces DTR ready.  On Hayes-type

But forcing DTR on will screw up my BBS program!  I don't want to have
to open the modem up to flip a DIP switch everytime I change programs!
I still say it should be configurable.  Or make it a "define"able
option.  Sometimes I want DTR left on so that I can switch to a different
program without having to redial and relogin.

Marnix

sas@tellab5.UUCP (Scott Schorling) (10/09/86)

In article <5772@decwrl.DEC.COM> wecker@cookie.dec.com (DAVE  TANSTAAFL  WECKER) writes:
>P.S.	V2.2 has been completed and is being "field-tested" (typing with it
>	now), so expect it in a week or so. (If I knew this thing was gonna
>	be so popular, I would have gotten some MONEY for it! :-)
>

>Regards,
>dave		wecker%cookie.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com	- ARPA
>		decwrl!cookie.dec.com!wecker		- USENET

	Dave I would happily send you money for it.
I have used it regularly (daily) for weeks.

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Garret and Trish) (10/11/86)

In article <100@tellab5.UUCP> sas@tellab5.UUCP (Scott Schorling) writes:
>In article <5772@decwrl.DEC.COM> wecker@cookie.dec.com (DAVE  TANSTAAFL  WECKER) writes:
>>P.S.	V2.2 has been completed and is being "field-tested" (typing with it
>>	now), so expect it in a week or so. (If I knew this thing was gonna
>>	be so popular, I would have gotten some MONEY for it! :-)
>>

>>Regards,
>>dave		wecker%cookie.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com	- ARPA
>>		decwrl!cookie.dec.com!wecker		- USENET
>
>	Dave I would happily send you money for it.
>I have used it regularly (daily) for weeks.

Me too, its a great program.

Garret

john13@garfield.UUCP (10/14/86)

[]
If I understand Dave Wecker correctly, he seems to be saying that vt100 *does*
drop DTR upon exit. But mine doesn't. I frequently read news in 25 lines, close
up the window, then call vt100 again with a 48 line screen to do editing. Or if
I manage to lock up the Amiga while I'm on-line (not for a month or so now) I
can reset completely, boot up vt100, and still be logged on (you see, our system
doesn't automatically hang up if you just drop the carrier, so if DTR was dropped,
and someone else just happened to call in that number before you could reboot
and reconnect...).

John Russell
UUCP:	{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4,utcsri}!garfield!john13
CDNNET:	john13@garfield.mun.cdn