[net.micro.amiga] Amiga video

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) (10/09/86)

Does anyone know if the Amiga video meets RS-170A specifications?

				Thanks,
				Rich Andrews
				...ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/10/86)

Most VCRs, etc will be happy with the Amiga video output,
especially if you are using interlace mode.  If you are using a
program that does not use an interlaced video, you can run SetLace
beforehand, which will make a 640*200 screen use 400 lines out to
the monitor.  SetLace is a P/D program.  I forgot where I got it;
it's probably on on e of the Fish disks.

Eventhough the Amiga video is close to RS-170, it isn't quite.  If
you are going to use Amiga video for a commercial purpose, you
should run it though a time base correcter.  There is some high
high frequency noise in the 3.58 MHz subcarrier that this will take
care of.  The color burst signal from the Amiga is a bit sloppy,
and the t.b.c. will take care of that too.

A time base corrector is a pretty expensive n thousand dollar
device, but most professional studios have one.  For your own
purposes, if you just want to fool around with a home VCR, the
interlaced output should be just fine.  If you have a four-head
type of VCR, you can probably record even the noninterlaced output
from the Amiga as well, without problems.

Bill

Bill Mayhew
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272    USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP  or  ....!cbosgd!neoucom!wtm)

In article <608@chinet.UUCP> cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) writes:
>Does anyone know if the Amiga video meets RS-170A specifications?
>
>				Rich Andrews ...ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

In general the Amiga comes closer than most to meeting video standards than
most systems, however it does not provide 'broadcast quality' signals.  It
is probably adequate for use with home video equipment CCTV and the like, but
for bradcast use the best thing is to feed the RBG outputs into a studio
encoder and process the sync signals.  The same is true of the Genlock device,
but it is able to synchronize the Amiga to an external sync source (genlock!).

It does put out the H/2 equalizing pulses, but I don't belive it does the
finer pulse width modulations.  Also, there is no distinction between the
reference black level, and the blanking level.  A true video person could
probably give a better analysis of this...
--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (10/15/86)

In article <299@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>...  SetLace is a P/D program.  I forgot where I got it;
>it's probably on one of the Fish disks.

   I think Setlace.c is also in mod.amiga.sources.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180