[net.micro.amiga] ray tracing pics.

cjhoward@watnot.UUCP (Caleb J. Howard) (10/04/86)

Concerning those Ray traced images.  Bloody amazing!!  I want MORE.
I'm really pleased.  I have never seen such imagery on my machine.
Umm...   I really didn't have anything to say, except to request,
(plead, beg) more.
   Actually, perhaps someone can tell me why most of the sources
that I try to compile using Lattice give me a VAST number of error
messages (mostly to do with referencing include files).  In fact,
the DISPLAY program was the first that I managed to compile
successfully, and even it gave me a lot of warnings.  I'm pretty
new at C (I.E. totally inexperianced).  I'm just using the standard
MAKE batch file included with the compiler.  Could this be my problem.
Thanks in advance, and let's see more of those great pics!
     Caleb J. Howard (cjhoward!watnot!watmath)

"Hey. It ain't a party 'till someone loses an eye!"

I don't have the capacity to form opinions, or even thoughts.

danny@convex.UUCP (10/08/86)

I agree that those are the most amazing pictures yet on the Amiga but...
GLASS.IMG seems cut off in the middle  - we also got two - yes two of
them here and in the titles, one had an extra '1' at the front of the
size...  Needless to say, they were both the same minus a few chars.

When DISPLAYing GLASS.IMG, after nearly halfway down the screen, it stopped
after about the first third of the line.  Has anybody else had this
bug/feature?  Could someone re-post it or mail me?  Thanks in advance.

Also, could the author of display post his code to generate those pics
so some of us could have a hand at generating our own?  (I don't have
a clue how that stuff was made and source would help - so would the title
of a good book)

Dan Wallach                     {wherever}!ihnp4!convex!danny

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/09/86)

danny@convex.UUCP sez:

>I agree that those are the most amazing pictures yet on the Amiga but...
>GLASS.IMG seems cut off in the middle  - we also got two - yes two of
>them here and in the titles, one had an extra '1' at the front of the
>size...  Needless to say, they were both the same minus a few chars.
>
>When DISPLAYing GLASS.IMG, after nearly halfway down the screen, it stopped
>after about the first third of the line.  Has anybody else had this
>bug/feature?  Could someone re-post it or mail me?  Thanks in advance.

try appending the "second" glass.img to the "first" -- ie, it is split
into 2 pieces (thankfully; otherwise it would have choked some software
somewhere).

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

spencer@well.UUCP (Randal Spencer) (10/10/86)

In article <93500045@convex>, danny@convex.UUCP writes:

> I agree that those are the most amazing pictures yet on the Amiga but...
> GLASS.IMG seems cut off in the middle  - we also got two - yes two of
> them here and in the titles, one had an extra '1' at the front of the
> size...  Needless to say, they were both the same minus a few chars.
>
> When DISPLAYing GLASS.IMG, after nearly halfway down the screen, it stopped
> after about the first third of the line.  Has anybody else had this
> bug/feature?  Could someone re-post it or mail me?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Also, could the author of display post his code to generate those pics
> so some of us could have a hand at generating our own?  (I don't have
> a clue how that stuff was made and source would help - so would the title
> of a good book)
>
> Dan Wallach                     {wherever}!ihnp4!convex!danny

No, you see, Brick has all that open blue space and Dec has less detail
that glass, so both of these files had compression to save space, Glass
had just too much detail to send in one posting, so the file was split in
the middle and when you get them on your machine you are supposed to join
them ("join", it's a CLI command... ever heard of it, I never used it before)

Recommendation:  Get a Ram expansion and do the join to a ram file, on
disk it is painful. I don't really know if you would need a ram exp.

It would be nice to see info on how these were made, Mike Meyer here at
UCB was saying how nice it would be to get the sources and start devoting
Vaxen to them for the weekends.

If I have got Daves attention I just would like to say, what with the pics,
VT100, shar, and the rest, I do feel like making a programming contribution,
maybe shareware is the way to go.

I hope that I didn't credit programs that you didn't write, and I hope that
I mentioned the big ones you did, but I am a vegatable at 3 am when I have
to be at work at 8 am.

Matt,  If all the icons were in one file, wouldn't that adversely affect
being able to move files around from CLI.  Like, here is MicroGnuEmacs and
it's info file MicroGnuEmacs.info.  Well if I am at the

1>

prompt (or the %, or the new $ for Manx users) and I build a subdirectory
with makedir emacs.  And I want to put MicroGnuEmacs there, I can now say:

% mv M* emacs

and all the programs that begin with M go there, but if the icons are locked
in a chunk I have to get out my icon editor or I have to loadwb.  It just
seems to me that your plan is from a man who likes Unix, and would like to
see all that Intuition stuff put out of the way where you don't have to fool
with it (and it would be faster for those icon users).  I like it the way it
is now, however I would like to know how Amicus disk #9 (or so) comes up so
fast (swish-BAM).

Oh, have you thought about incorporating your term program with vt100?
Giving vt100, and kermit facilities on a requestor driven term prog that
has asyncronious disk writes so that it never slows or pauses.  I'd like
to hear.

Gotta go,

Randy Spencer
Unemployed Dec or Micro Consultant

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ missing cute .signature file +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

>Matt,  If all the icons were in one file, wouldn't that adversely affect
>being able to move files around from CLI.  Like, here is MicroGnuEmacs and
>it's info file MicroGnuEmacs.info.  Well if I am at the
>
>1>
>
>prompt (or the %, or the new $ for Manx users) and I build a subdirectory
>with makedir emacs.  And I want to put MicroGnuEmacs there, I can now say:
>
>% mv M* emacs
>
>and all the programs that begin with M go there, but if the icons are locked
>in a chunk I have to get out my icon editor or I have to loadwb.  It just
>seems to me that your plan is from a man who likes Unix, and would like to
>see all that Intuition stuff put out of the way where you don't have to fool
>with it (and it would be faster for those icon users).  I like it the way it
>is now, however I would like to know how Amicus disk #9 (or so) comes up so
>fast (swish-BAM).
>
>Oh, have you thought about incorporating your term program with vt100?
>Giving vt100, and kermit facilities on a requestor driven term prog that
>has asyncronious disk writes so that it never slows or pauses.  I'd like
>to hear.

	Yes, you would to use WorkBench to do the moving, though if you
are moving EVERYTHING in some directory to somewhere else you could simply
copy the .ICONS (or whatever it will be called) file with it.

	In fact, you could copy just a few of the pictures or whatever and the
entire .ICONS file over and say, have WorkBench clean it up (remove entries
which don't exist).

	The advantage to having all the ICONS in one file is that the
Workbench would become usable.

						-Matt

grupp@lll-crg.ARpA (Paul Grupp) (10/12/86)

Another solution to the problem of "all the Icons in one file" is to have
a new command (program) called ICON with keywords of DIR, COPY, and
DELETE.  This program would be run from the CLI and allow you to get
a "directory" listing from an .Icons file, copy one or more icon entries
from one .Icons file to another, or delete one or more icon from the
.Icons file.  Hmmm, this sounds too simple, there must be a harder way
to do this! 8^)

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Garret and Trish) (10/13/86)

In article <1909@well.UUCP> spencer@well.UUCP (Randal Spencer) writes
about the DISPLAY images:

>It would be nice to see info on how these were made, Mike Meyer here at
>UCB was saying how nice it would be to get the sources and start devoting
>Vaxen to them for the weekends.
>
>If I have got Daves attention I just would like to say, what with the pics,
>VT100, shar, and the rest, I do feel like making a programming contribution,
>maybe shareware is the way to go.

Yeah, lets start the Dave Wecker fan club.  I just got display and
the image files, and they are beautiful and grand.

Garret                 (...!ihnp4!chinet!rissa)

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (10/15/86)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

Well, I finally got a look at Dave Wecker's *incredible* pictures ... WOW!
Can't wait to see the new ones he just posted  ... thanks alot, Dave!
I'll be keeping a sharp eye out for the generating s/w that you mentioned.
That ought to give Amy something to be doing while I'm at work (sure hope
the raytracing s/w will multi-task :-) ).

I am curious about one thing in the "glass.img" though.  There are two
small white circles (one in front of the orange ball;  one next to the
blue ball).  From the shadow and highlighting effects, these appear to
be light sources.  What I'm wondering is why they both seem to be "flat",
with no "shading" or "contouring", whereas everything else looks "solid"
and has "depth"?  Is this effect intentional, an artifact of the raytracing
algorithm, or what?

Also, I wanted to mention that I have GRABBiT and AnyTime from Discovery
Software, and was able to use both of these resident utilities with Dave's
pictures.  GRABBiT dutifully dumped IFF formatted images into my GRAB:
device (I have it in RAM:), and AnyTime would pop up a 16-color palette,
and let me twiddle any of the 16 base colors, and the associated HAM
colors.  I didn't have a chance (yet) to redisplay the file that GRABBiT
dumped with SeeILBM, etc.  "Nice job" to Discovery Software, for providing
a couple of very useful utilities!

I should mention that I *did* hang the machine up the 1st time I tried
to save the screen ... I think I also tried to bring up the color palette
from AnyTime before the screen got saved, and that blew something (even
to RAM:, saving the 96K that "glass.img" becomes in IF format takes a
little time :-) )!  Ah, well ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]