[net.micro.amiga] Amiga Screen Colors

macdonald@author.dec.com (Quadrapi for sale.) (10/14/86)

I understand that there are 4,096 colors available on the Amiga.
The Reference Manual I have indicates that 0 is the darkest and
4,096 is the brightest. Is it true that every available color can
be associated with a number from 0 to 4096 or 000 to fff (hex)?

Are there any pd programs to display the different colors and their
associated values from 0 to 4096? I am looking for an easy way to
set colors in Dave Wecker VT100 initfile. Trial and error will take
forever.

Paul

>I understand that there are 4,096 colors available on the Amiga.
>The Reference Manual I have indicates that 0 is the darkest and
>4,096 is the brightest. Is it true that every available color can
>be associated with a number from 0 to 4096 or 000 to fff (hex)?
>
>Are there any pd programs to display the different colors and their
>associated values from 0 to 4096? I am looking for an easy way to
>set colors in Dave Wecker VT100 initfile. Trial and error will take
>forever.
>
>Paul

	The 4096 colors are generated by picking the level of Red, Green,
and Blue for a given color.  Each  R, G, or B has 16 levels.  Thus,
16 * 16 * 16 = 4096 colors, which convienently maps into three hex
digits (read 'RGB').

	The easiest way to pick colors it to simply use Preferences, then
figure out each R, G, and B by looking at the poll position of the
R, G, and B gadgets (very easy to count)

					-Matt

bill@dayton.UUCP (William T. Argyros) (10/16/86)

In article <8610142001.AA13210@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>I understand that there are 4,096 colors available on the Amiga.
>	The easiest way to pick colors it to simply use Preferences, then
>figure out each R, G, and B by looking at the poll position of the
>R, G, and B gadgets (very easy to count)
>
>					-Matt

The first version of DW's vt100 emulator contained within
it a color editor like the one in preferences.  This was by
far the simplest way to do it.  Too bad it was removed from
later versions.  I keep telling myself that I will put
it back into V2.1, but I never seem to have the time (reading
40+ net.micro.amiga articles each day seem to take all the free
time I have... :-)
	Dave, why did the color editor not make it into more recent
versions?

--
UUCP: ihnp4!rosevax!dayton!bill         Bill Argyros
ATT:  (612) 375-2816                    Dayton-Hudson Dept. Store. Co.