[net.micro.amiga] 68020s in Amigas?

ln63fhl@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Cook) (10/13/86)

The October Byte metions a rumour that new Amigas are being shipped
with 68020s in place of the 68000.  Has anyone opened up a newer Amiga
to check this out?  (Or perhaps know without looking?)

In article <543@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU> ln63fhl@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Cook) writes:
>The October Byte metions a rumour that new Amigas are being shipped
>with 68020s in place of the 68000.  Has anyone opened up a newer Amiga
>to check this out?  (Or perhaps know without looking?)

Sorry, not so!

I didn't see anything like this in Byte, perhaps you misinterpreted
something that said than the 68020 is now available for the Amiga in
things like the CSA Expansion Box.
--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

rodney@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Rodney Ricks) (10/14/86)

In article <543@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU> ln63fhl@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Cook) writes:
>The October Byte metions a rumour that new Amigas are being shipped
>with 68020s in place of the 68000.  Has anyone opened up a newer Amiga
>to check this out?  (Or perhaps know without looking?)

David, you have taken this rumor somewhat out of context.  The BYTE
editorial says "Commodore ... is preparing new versions of the Amiga.  Some
new Amigas are believed to have 68020s."  What they mean is that some of
these new versions are believed to have 68020 processors, not that 68020s
are being put in the current Amigas in place of 68000s.

Rodney Ricks,
   (Not officially respresenting...)    The 64 Store.  Atlanta, Georgia 30339

UUCP: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!rodney
 or :                                                   !gatech!gt-oscar!rodney
Mail: 4265 Hidden Valley Dr.  College Park, Ga. 30349

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (10/14/86)

> The October Byte metions a rumour that new Amigas are being shipped
> with 68020s in place of the 68000.  Has anyone opened up a newer Amiga
> to check this out?  (Or perhaps know without looking?)

I was really curious about this, so I found the apparent reference in Byte,
page 6.  It says:
	Commodore ... is preparing new versions of the Amiga.  Some new Amigas
	are believed to have 68020s. ...

Unfortunately, "shipping" is no where mentioned.  I interpret this to mean
that Commodore is considering new versions of the Amiga (the A2000?) with
a 68020;  will probably consider 68881 also.  Whether and when the new designs
hit the market and at what price remains to be seen.

Higher on the same page is more grist for the ol'rumor mill:
	Amiga developers expect a more powerful version of that machine
	with internal expansion slots...
--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (10/16/86)

	In re . . . new Amiga rumors . . .

	The rumors I have heard are the following machines are
being prepared for marketing:

	An Amiga with 2 megabytes of CHIP RAM using new versions of
the custom chip.  This same machine will have a 68010 and internal
Zorro slots.  Perhaps there will also be an update of the A1000
with the 2 meg internal and 68010 and no slots, but the only rumor
I heard was the 68010 machine will have slots.  I believe this machine
was to be called the "A2000".

	An Amiga with a 68020 and probably new custom chips capable
of higher resolution RGB color, including support for workstation-like
color screens (with appropriate monitors).  This is the Ranger, also
orginally called the "A3000".

	Also machines called the "A1500" and the "A2500" which I
believe are somehow related to internal Sidecar (IBM compatibility)
and also a version of the internal Sidecar that is AT-COMPATIBLE.
That is, you get an AT, and Amiga with a 68010 (I think), slots,
and at least 2 megabytes of RAM.  I think this is the "A2500".
I'm not sure if these machines will actually get to market, as they
sound rather strange to me.  But if the integration is done as well
as the Sidecar (with RJ's design it should be) then these might well
be hot machines.  But the SIZE of these things has got to be enormous.
Possibly not as enormous as an AT, tho.

	In any case, even if the above rumors are totally off track,
we do know the following features will appear in some future
Amigas, but perhaps in combinations different from the above:

	1) 68010.
	2) 68020 (hopefully at 14 Mhz).
	3) Internal Zorro slots.
	4) Custom chips capable of addressing 2 megabytes and
		also an increase of blitter block from 1K to 4K
		at a time.  Faster as well (14 Mhz versions???)
	5) Higher resolution RGB output, probably including
		current Amiga resolutions as well as newer,
		workstation-like resolutions.  This may well
		come simultaneously with 3).
	6) Internal Sidecar.
	7) Internal AT-Sidecar.

	Now we're talking COMPUTER.

				-Mitsu

jones@dg_rtp.UUCP (Greg Jones) (10/16/86)

In article <543@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU> version B 2.10.3 4.3bsd-beta 6/6/85; site dg_rtp.UUCP dg_rtp!rti-sel!mcnc!philabs!cmcl2!seismo!rutgers!nike!ucbcad!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc6!sdcc7!ln63fhl ln63fhl@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Cook) writes:
>The October Byte metions a rumour that new Amigas are being shipped
>with 68020s in place of the 68000.  Has anyone opened up a newer Amiga
>to check this out?  (Or perhaps know without looking?)

I find this very hard to believe considering the pinout and packaging is
different for the 68020 and 68000.  Also the price is higher for the '20
I thought the idea was to reduce cost not increase it !!

                                                             Greg

--

				Greg Jones
				Data General, RTP, NC