[net.micro.amiga] Release 2 of ASDG Recoverable RAM Disk

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (10/09/86)

ZOWIE!

I've just finished  release 2  of  the  ASDG Recoverable RAM Disk driver. The
major enchancement over release one is that memory used by files which become
deleted will be returned to the free pool.

The first release dynamically allocated memory but  did not deallocate memory
if files were deleted.  It  couldn't  because  as  a track disk device it was
never told about AmigaDOS's filing system decisions - only read this block or
write that one.

The new release overcomes this   deficiency while still  being  a track  disk
compatible device.  Also, this  release increases the maximum recoverable ram
disk size to a full 2Mbytes.

So: The ASDG recoverable ram disk:

	Is recoverable after reset or crash.
	Dynamically allocates memory.
	Dynamically deallocates memory.
	Dynamically moves buffers around to ensure that FAST ram is
		used for ram disk even if temporary conditions mean
		that no FAST ram is available. IE:  if  no FAST ram
		is available right now - borrow CHIP ram but as soon
		as FAST ram  becomes  available  move the track into
		FAST ram making the CHIP ram available again.
	Checksums every sector and track.
	Is COMPLETELY compatible with 1.2.

Perry

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (10/11/86)

In article <1902@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
> I've just finished  release 2  of  the  ASDG Recoverable RAM Disk driver. The
> major enchancement over release one is that memory used by files which become
> deleted will be returned to the free pool.

Perry -

Something I've not seen mentioned on your ASDG Recoverable RAM Disk
driver is whether it requires ASDG's ram board to function correctly,
or will it work with other manufacturers ram boards.  If it *will*
work with other boards, is ASDG marketing it as a seperate product?
<he says, hopefully!>

I have a CardCo board, but would *really* like to keep my RAM Disk
around!  BTW, the only reason I went with the CardCo board, is that
they pass the buss along, and you've said ASDG has no plans to do
likewise (for shame!)

Thanks,
/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (10/12/86)

In article <3919@amdahl.UUCP>, kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <1902@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>> I've just finished  release 2  of  the  ASDG Recoverable RAM Disk driver. The
>> major enchancement over release one is that memory used by files which become
>> deleted will be returned to the free pool.
>
> Perry -
>
> Something I've not seen mentioned on your ASDG Recoverable RAM Disk
> driver is whether it requires ASDG's ram board to function correctly,
> or will it work with other manufacturers ram boards.  If it *will*
> work with other boards, is ASDG marketing it as a seperate product?
> <he says, hopefully!>
>
> I have a CardCo board, but would *really* like to keep my RAM Disk
> around!  BTW, the only reason I went with the CardCo board, is that
> they pass the buss along, and you've said ASDG has no plans to do
> likewise (for shame!)
>
> Thanks,
> /kim

The ASDG recoverable ram disk is configured to run only if at least one of
your fast  ram  boards are from ASDG. A future release may remove this re-
striction.

About passing  the  bus. ASDG no longer has no plans to ever pass the bus.
(umm. I like that sentence!)

Perry

richr@pogo.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (10/15/86)

> About passing  the  bus. ASDG no longer has no plans to ever pass the bus.
> (umm. I like that sentence!)
>
> Perry

 Umm, I seem to recall a great deal of invective in past articles on
 the subject of passing the bus ("destroying your Amiga", etc) by the
 author of the above. Personally, I think you underestimate the
 collective memory of the readers of this net. Or at the very least
 perhaps you could share with  us whatever new piece of information that
 has lead to this revelation that maybe, just maybe, it's OK to pass
 the bus after all. Of course, one might guess that what was originally
 a bit of technical snobbery turned out to be a colossal marketing
 failure, but that would just be speculation.

 Well, good luck with the board. If I bump into you at the
 Developers Conference next month, maybe you'll let me buy you a beer.

					Your Pal Rich

Richard N. Rodgers, President
Creative Microsystems Inc.
Tigard, OR  97223

richr@pogo

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (10/16/86)

In article <2820@pogo.UUCP>, richr@pogo.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) writes:
>  perhaps you could share with  us whatever new piece of information that
>  has lead to this revelation that maybe, just maybe, it's OK to pass

New information? Can you say: ``non-disclosure agreement''? Sure ya can!

>  Well, good luck with the board. If I bump into you at the
>  Developers Conference next month, maybe you'll let me buy you a beer.

You're on! I'll get the n'th (where n is even).

Perry

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (10/16/86)

In article <2820@pogo.UUCP>, richr@pogo.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) writes:
>  Umm, I seem to recall a great deal of invective in past articles on
>  the subject of passing the bus ("destroying your Amiga", etc) by the
>  author of the above.

Gee Rich, you seem to have taken this out of  context. I said using several
products which pass the bus and do NOT SUPPLY THEIR OWN POWER will increase
the probability of you ``destroying your amiga.'' Passing the bus from card
cage (supplying its  own  power)  to card cage (supplying its own power), I
said, is simply unreliable (unless  hardware measures are taken to increase
reliability and even  then, the  number of times that the bus may be passed
should be kept to a minimum - 0 times is still quite definately preferred).

Glad I could set you straight on this point.

Perry