[net.micro.amiga] VT100 problems

wpl@burdvax.UUCP (William P Loftus) (10/07/86)

I compiled VT100 with lattice 3.02, but I can't get it to execute
in its 48 line mode?  Anyone have this problem?

Bill

wagner@utcs.UUCP (10/10/86)

I'm having problems with VT100 not sending the cursor key sequences
properly.  I'm not sure what the problem is, but our Series/1 gets
upset when I hit those keys.  It's claiming that it doesn't recognize
the sequence sent.  Anyone else experiencing this?

I looked through the code to translate key sequences (as an aside,
I was amazed that it does this itself...isn't there an EXEC facility
for key mapping?) but I'm not sure I understand what the code is doing.
The code for cursor keys seems to depend on whether the keypad is in
application mode or not.  The series/1 does use application keypad
mode.  But I didn't think that the cursor keys sent anything different
in that mode.  Anyone have a real VT100 (or even a manual?)

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs or mostplaces!utzoo!utcs!wagner)

chiu@princeton.UUCP (Kenneth Chiu) (10/13/86)

In article <1986Oct10.125540.9978@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.UUCP (Michael Wagner) writes:
>. . .I'm not sure what the problem is, but our Series/1 gets upset when I hit
>those keys [cursor movement keys].  It's claiming that it doesn't recognize the
>sequence sent.  Anyone else experiencing this?. . .The series/1 does use
>application keypad mode.  But I didn't think that the cursor keys sent anything
>different in that mode. . .

Are you running Yale's full-screen system?  We are, and things seem to work
fine.  The cursor keys do send different sequences in application mode.
Perhaps your Series/1 isn't sending the right sequences to put the vt100 in
application mode.  They may assume that the terminals are always in application
mode (unlikely).
--
Kenneth Chiu                                              UUCP: princeton!chiu
Princeton University Computer Science Department        BITNET: 6031801@PUCC

wagner@utcs.uucp (10/16/86)

Well, I guess this is a bug report for the VT100 program posted by
Dave Wecker (thanks, Dave!).  I am using Version 1.1 - the problem
may be fixed in 1.2 (which just arrived here today), but I haven't
looked yet.

Cursor keys send wrong sequence when the keypad is in application mode

Suggested Fix:
in window.c, remove the checking for 'keyapp' in the cursor key code.
always send the sequence currently in the 'else' logic.

Reproduce-by:
trying to log on to a series/1 and using the cursor keys.  Series/1
beeps at you (invalid key sequence).  (sorry, Series/1 has to be
running the Yale/Ascii package...forgot that part).

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)

chiu@princeton.UUCP (Kenneth Chiu) (10/17/86)

In article <1986Oct16.110323.26016@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.UUCP (Michael Wagner) writes:
>Cursor keys send wrong sequence when the keypad is in application mode
>
>Suggested Fix:
>in window.c, remove the checking for 'keyapp' in the cursor key code.
>always send the sequence currently in the 'else' logic.
>
>Reproduce-by:
>trying to log on to a series/1 and using the cursor keys.  Series/1
>beeps at you (invalid key sequence).  (sorry, Series/1 has to be
>running the Yale/Ascii package...forgot that part).

We are also running the Yale package.  vt100 works fine.  Actually, I believe
Dave's code is correct.  If you look in the VT100 reference manual, you will
see that the cursor keys (up, for example) send <esc>[A when keypad is reset,
and <esc>OA when keypad is set.  This seems to be exactly what Dave's code
does.  If you would like, you can dial 609-452-6934.  This will connect you
to our broadband cable.  From there you enter "full" for the yale full-screen
package.  Of course, you can't log in, but you can verify that the cursor
control keys do work.