[net.micro.amiga] Zorro

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (10/11/86)

OK, OK, OK.  I'm embarassed as hell to admit it, but I've got to.
I don't know what a Zorro is (other than a character out of a TV
show from long ago).

So will somebody please tell me what is a Zorro?  Or what is the
Zorro standard?  Also what didn't I read that I should have so that
I would have known this.

Marnix                   "Nothing on a cold winter night like
                          curling up in bed with a warm cup of hot
                          chocolate and a Rom Kernel Manual."
--
Marnix A.  van\ Ammers
Home: (707) 644-9781		Work: (415) 545-8334

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/13/86)

> OK, OK, OK.  I'm embarassed as hell to admit it, but I've got to.
> I don't know what a Zorro is (other than a character out of a TV
> show from long ago).
>
> So will somebody please tell me what is a Zorro?  Or what is the
> Zorro standard?  Also what didn't I read that I should have so that
> I would have known this.
>
> Marnix                   "Nothing on a cold winter night like
>                           curling up in bed with a warm cup of hot
>                           chocolate and a Rom Kernel Manual."
> --
> Marnix A.  van\ Ammers
> Home: (707) 644-9781		Work: (415) 545-8334
> {ihnp4|ptsfa}!pttesac!vanam	CIS: 70027,70

Zorro is the collective name for the Amiga 1000 Expansion hardware
specification, which includes the expected hardware for a 100 pin edge
expansion slot box, the specification for the auto-configuration
circuitry expected to be used on every expansion card, and the size of
the expansion card.  A book on this is available from Commodore in
West Chester.

Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
		"Techno-Hippie, heathen, designing evil computers"

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.

rossi@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Lisa Rossi) (10/14/86)

In article <882@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

>> OK, OK, OK.  I'm embarassed as hell to admit it, but I've got to.
>> I don't know what a Zorro is (other than a character out of a TV
>> show from long ago).
>>
>> So will somebody please tell me what is a Zorro?  Or what is the
>> Zorro standard?  Also what didn't I read that I should have so that
>> I would have known this.
>>
>> Marnix A.  van\ Ammers
>> Home: (707) 644-9781		Work: (415) 545-8334
>> {ihnp4|ptsfa}!pttesac!vanam	CIS: 70027,70
>
>Zorro is the collective name for the Amiga 1000 Expansion hardware
>specification, which includes the expected hardware for a 100 pin edge
>expansion slot box, the specification for the auto-configuration
>circuitry expected to be used on every expansion card, and the size of
>the expansion card.  A book on this is available from Commodore in
>West Chester.
>
>Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

Before we start getting a bunch of questions about it - "the book" that
Dave is talking about is the Hardware Expansion and Schematics Specification.
You may purchase this book by sending a check for $20 to

Commodore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive
West Chester, Pa 19380
Attn: Kim Montgomery-Software

Also include a note stating that you would like the Hardware Expansion and
Schematics Spec along with your name, address, and phone number.

			Lisa

danny@convex.UUCP (10/16/86)

ZORRO is the latest and greatest Commodore Amiga Expansion Guidelines.

This mainly comes into play when you buy absolutely anything that plugs into
the expansion on the right of your Amiga.  When you buy a card cage (backplane)
make sure it's Zorro compatible.  When you buy a card for it, make sure it's
Zorro compatible.  Quite simply, anything you plug into the right of the
Amiga should have Zorro written all over it and properly integrate with
everything else (and for large boxes, extend the bus and hopefully have
it's own power supply).

Ok?

Dan Wallach

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (10/16/86)

Well, it has been a long time, but if memory serves, when I turned in
my black box for the first plastic enclosed machines these new machines
with real plastics were called "Zorro" boxes.

-- Glenn Tenney
UUCP: {hplabs,glacier,lll-crg,ihnp4!ptsfa}!well!tenney
ARPA: well!tenney@LLL-CRG.ARPA        Delphi and MCI Mail: TENNEY
As Alphonso Bodoya would say... (tnx boulton)
Disclaimers? DISCLAIMERS!? I don' gotta show you no stinking DISCLAIMERS!

In article <301@pttesac.UUCP> vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) writes:
>OK, OK, OK.  I'm embarassed as hell to admit it, but I've got to.
>I don't know what a Zorro is (other than a character out of a TV
>show from long ago).
>
>Marnix A.  van\ Ammers

Well, I could be confused, but Zorro is actually the cutsey code name for the
standard Amiga mainboard.  The Amiga Expansion Architecture document gives
information about a Zorro expansion board, but this is an expansion board to
got with the Zorro board, not Zorro itself.

As the Amiga was being developed, different versions of the mainboard had
different names.  A previous board was named Velvet.  Also, the custom chips
named Denise and Paula were at one time Daphne and Portia...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr