[net.micro.amiga] Notes from the 10/7/86 FAUG meeting

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (10/09/86)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

The following was posted by Steve Shoettler on the internal (to Amdahl)
Amiga CONFerence Topic.  Apparently "duck" was there (Hi, Dale!), and
had some good news to share, among other things.

/kim

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
* TOPIC: AMIGA -  "Amdahl AMIGA Users Forum"
  Latest tidbits from last night's FAUG (First Amiga Users' Group):

    1.2 has once again been finalized by Amiga in Los Gatos and sent to
        West Chester, PA for release.
        Actually, that's true for the Kickstart, but Workbench isn't
        finished yet.
        Dale Luck said they both would be free.

    The tools disk will cost something, but is probably worth it, as it
        contains a lot of neat utilities including Emacs and performance
        monitor.  This disk is free when it comes with the standard
        developer package.

    The 1.2 Include files will have no copy restrictions on them
        (public domain).

    Genlock has passed initial FCC testing, but they still have to
        wait six weeks or so for the actual application to go through.
        Commodore is currently producing 80 of them so dealers should
        have some soon.  A production run of 2000 should begin in a
        month or two.

    There's a mini PAL, made by BYTE by BYTE with a power supply,
        20 Meg hard drive (65 ms access) and fast DMA.
        Cost: $1495.   Availability: Dec 1.
    Unlike the real pal box, this has no memory expansion capability,
        and has no clock.  Aparently they didn't want to cut into
        the marketing range of the PAL box.
    This unit is also a bus end.

    CSA showed their 68020 box.  It has a 68020, 68881, complete
        32 bit address/data paths and static ram (32 bits wide), all
        at 14.6 MHz.
    This means any program loaded into this FAST ram will already
        run 4 times as fast as any program on the Amiga.   If you
        add in the 68881 and the instruction cache in the 68020 you
        have a FAST machine that rivals a a Vax 11/780.
    The CSA box is standard, so you can take the PAL disk controller
        and plug it right in.
    They will still offer the piggybak board that plugs into the
        Amiga, using 16 bits at 7MHz.
    Sorry, but I didn't catch the prices, but they do offer blank boards
        in case you think you can get the parts cheaper elsewhere.

    JForth was demonstrated.  Has hooks for C programs so either can
        call routines written in the other.
        Will sell for $99.
        Their benchmarks run 75% of speed of Manx-compiled C but
        "compile" 40 times faster.

UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462
CIS:   76535,25

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

claudio@ethz.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (10/16/86)

[       8:30 am ... it's breakfast time        ]

>    The 1.2 Include files will have no copy restrictions on them
>        (public domain).

Wouldn't it be a good idea to post them on net.micro.amiga or mod.amiga,
together with the 1.2 fd files ?

Come on Commodore-Amiga, we need the files as soon as possible to port
the One Pass Modula-2 Compiler to 1.2!

--
				claudio

(* ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 Disclaimer: I'm not working for ETH-Zurich! I'm just a CS student.

E-Mail: UUCP:   claudio@ethz.uucp
        BITNET: K538912@CZHRZU1A
  Mail: Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster, Switzerland.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- *)

andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/20/86)

In article <387@ethz.UUCP> claudio@ethz.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) writes:

>[       8:30 am ... it's breakfast time        ]
>
>>    The 1.2 Include files will have no copy restrictions on them
>>        (public domain).
>
>Wouldn't it be a good idea to post them on net.micro.amiga or mod.amiga,
>together with the 1.2 fd files ?
>
>Come on Commodore-Amiga, we need the files as soon as possible to port
>the One Pass Modula-2 Compiler to 1.2!
>
>--
>				claudio

Actually, as far as I know, they are not Public Domain.  But they do not
have copy restrictions on them. (A distinction dear to a lawyer's "heart".)  :-)

The include files will be officially out soon.  Certain 1.2 Beta
releases (sent to some official Amiga developers) contained 1.2 includes
and fd files.

The net seems to me to be an incorrect means of distributing them...many sites
don't need the V1.2 includes and fd files especially.

				andy finkel
--

			andy finkel
			Commodore(Amiga)

"Remember, no matter where you grow, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonsai.