[net.micro.amiga] Proportional Joysticks

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (09/30/86)

It looks like 1.2 will support proportional joysticks, if I read potgo.doc
correctly.  Is this correct?  Will EA come out with a Marble Madness that
uses proportional joysticks?  As was pointed out by somebody, stupid joysticks
(the ones without potentiometers) are next to useless.  Will EA upgrade MM
for less than full price?

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

louie@umd5 (Louis Mamakos) (10/01/86)

Hey, for a good time try using Marble Madness with a trackball!   That's
the way it seems it was meant to be played!  I also tried using a stupid
joystick, and it is next to worthless.  I found it easier to use the mouse
instead of the joystick.

I fiddled around with a surplus trackball that I bought at a hamfest for $10.
The thing is built like a tank, but a joy to use.  I'm not sure why marble
maddness has seperate selections for mouse and joystick; I use mine in mouse
mode.

I also use the trackball fiddling around with the workbench too.  One thing
you can say for it:  it needs less table space which is at a real premium
around my amiga.

--
Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
 Internet: louie@trantor.umd.edu

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (10/06/86)

In article <1270@umd5>, louie@umd5 (Louis Mamakos) writes:
> Hey, for a good time try using Marble Madness with a trackball!
>
> I fiddled around with a surplus trackball that I bought at a hamfest for $10.

I'd like to!  I've been looking for a Trackball for several months, but
can't seem to find one (except a *very* nice one for the Mac, by a company
that is now out of business, I'm told).

I've tried most of the local computer stores, Toys'R'Us and such, and looked
in a variety of magazines that cater to owners of Amiga's, CBM 64/128's,
Atari's, etc., but haven't seen anything whatsoever.

Does ANYONE know of a manufacturer, dealer, etc. for a good Trackball?

I'd try to modify the one for the Mac, but they want about $75 for it,
and with the company out of business, I doubt if I can find any technical
specs on it.  Sigh.

/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,oliveb}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

6105530@PUCC.BITNET (Daniel Kimberg) (10/07/86)

A friend of mine uses Marble Madness with a trackball made by Wico, and
loves it.  Wico also makes a pretty good joystick.

                                      -Dan

danny@convex.UUCP (10/10/86)

To use a trackball for most games that accept digital joysticks (Atari 2600
type) you can find a whole bunch of Atari 2600/Commodore 64 joystick emulating
joysticks...  If you're looking for a trackball instead of your mouse, keep
looking...

Dan Wallach
...!ihnp4!convex!danny

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) (10/20/86)

In article <1270@umd5> louie@umd5.umd.edu (Louis Mamakos) writes:
>Hey, for a good time try using Marble Madness with a trackball!   That's
>the way it seems it was meant to be played!  ...

	The arcade machine indeed uses a trackball.  It's interesting that you
came to that same conclusion!

Flip side,

	joe piazza