3) IBM Portable
4) Jazz
5) Apple III
6) Tandy 2000
7) DEC Rainbow
8) VisiON
9) Amiga
10) Ovation

Does this tell us something? Does anyone know (preferable not
connected with Atari or Commodore) what the *actual* figures
are for machines (ST vs. Amiga) are thru 3rd quarter '86?

I shall change my name to George... curious George, that is.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
UUCP: {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
CIS: 71560,322

chiu@princeton.UUCP (Kenneth Chiu) (10/17/86)

In article <2872@islenet.UUCP> jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) writes:
>This from Personal Computing, Oct. '86:
>
>10 Unexpected Personal Computing Flops
>or Under-Achievers
> . . .
>9) Amiga
>
>Does this tell us something? Does anyone know (preferable not
>connected with Atari or Commodore) what the *actual* figures
>are for machines (ST vs. Amiga) are thru 3rd quarter '86?

This was the result of a survey of business users.  Probably an accurate
representation of perceptions in the business world, but no more than that.
--
Kenneth Chiu                                              UUCP: princeton!chiu
Princeton University Computer Science Department        BITNET: 6031801@PUCC

mikeb@tekfdi.UUCP (Mike Boyce) (10/19/86)

In article <2872@islenet.UUCP>, jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) writes:
> This from Personal Computing, Oct. '86:
>
> 10 Unexpected Personal Computing Flops
> or Under-Achievers

> 9) Amiga

> Does this tell us something? Does anyone know (preferable not
> connected with Atari or Commodore) what the *actual* figures
> are for machines (ST vs. Amiga) are thru 3rd quarter '86?

Sounds like sloppy journalism to me. To paraphrase a famous American author.
'Rumors of Amiga's death are greatly exagerated.' :^} I suggest that item 9
be changed to:

	9) Personal Computing Magazine. (Midnight Enquirer Award)

I'm tempted to buy the magazine just so I can get the address to write
the author a letter. Personal computer mags are (with a few notable
execptions such as DDJ) garbage. I definately would not trust some
bozo like this author to tell me which computer to buy. If I did I would
have an IBM PC/XT/AT compatable in front of me. After all that's what
everybody else has.

					Mickey Mick Mick,
					At your ....

	Every word of this is my personal opinion and does not reflect
	the views of my employer.

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (10/19/86)

re: numbers of ST's
I just heard that in their prospectus Atari had to state how many
ST's they've ACTUALLY sold worldwide.  I haven't actually read it myself,
but was told that the number in the prospectus was 125,000.

-- Glenn Tenney
UUCP: {hplabs,glacier,lll-crg,ihnp4!ptsfa}!well!tenney
ARPA: well!tenney@LLL-CRG.ARPA        Delphi and MCI Mail: TENNEY
As Alphonso Bodoya would say... (tnx boulton)
Disclaimers? DISCLAIMERS!? I don' gotta show you no stinking DISCLAIMERS!

doc@j.cc.purdue.edu (Craig Norborg) (10/19/86)

In article <2872@islenet.UUCP> jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) writes:
>This from Personal Computing, Oct. '86:
>
>10 Unexpected Personal Computing Flops
>or Under-Achievers
>
>1) PCjr
...cut...
>9) Amiga
>10) Ovation
>
>Does this tell us something? Does anyone know (preferable not
>connected with Atari or Commodore) what the *actual* figures
>are for machines (ST vs. Amiga) are thru 3rd quarter '86?
    I looked at this article and saw an awful lot of IBM biases myself
along with ALOT of inconsistancies between their figures.  Look at the
one place where they have the best selling software part and compare
its figures with the figures under the subcategories "Best selling
DBM", etc.  I think its funny that they can have totally different
figures for the same package, in the same year, from the same survey.
I would really like to see reprinted in full the survey that they took
their figures from.
    Craig Norborg (aka Doc Pierce)
    mod.amiga.{sources|binaries} moderator
    ihnp4!pur-ee!j.cc.purdue.edu!doc

    USnail: 539 N. Grant Street
	    W. Lafayette IN 47906

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (10/20/86)

In article <1953@well.UUCP> tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) writes:
>re: numbers of ST's
>I just heard that in their prospectus Atari had to state how many
>ST's they've ACTUALLY sold worldwide.  I haven't actually read it myself,
>but was told that the number in the prospectus was 125,000.
>
>-- Glenn Tenney

I have the prospectus at home. The number of machines sold worldwide
was stated as being 150,000...however, it was also stated that that figure
was only the number of machines sold through September 1985.

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	usenet: {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,topaz,decvax}!uwvax!uwmacc!demillo
	ARPA:   demillo@unix.macc.wisc.edu    (now isn't that easier?)

	"I am not so sure
	 what you want me for!			'War Games'
	 Either your machine is a 		   - Crosby, Stills and Nash
	 fool, or me..."