[net.micro.amiga] Ray Traced images

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (10/20/86)

Well after seeing all the oooo's  and ah's on the net about these zillions
of bytes of image data I decided to give one a shot this weekend.  I
compiled display.c under Manx 3.20a running under 1.2B4 kickstart (the
latest version I got).  All went well.  I downloaded 60 some odd thousand
bytes of brick.img and got ready to be amazed.

amiga % display brick.img

Screen blanks, interlaced window opens, and 400 lines of blank blue-green
lines are drawn.  I wait... After a minute or so I figure out that nothing
else is going to happen.

I'm impressed.  60 some-odd k worth of data to generate an interlaced, HAM
blue-green square.  Not bad.  Would not it have been easier to use RectFill?

 8^)  8^(

Ok. So I guess I ought to try a different .img file tonight, huh?  Funny thing
is I received two brick.img files.   One from mod.amiga.sources and one (in two
parts I believe) in net.micro.amiga.  Both produced the exact same blank
blue-green screen.  There's more here than meets the eye Watson!

I'll try again tonight with wood.img.  If that doesn't work I'll try 1.1.
If that doesn't work I'll rm -r the image files and assume, that the only
wood around is in my head (as usual) and not in an image file.

t'would have been grand!

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (10/24/86)

In article <532@elmgate.UUCP>, Jeff Gortatowsky (jdg@elmgate.UUCP) writes:

> Well after seeing all the oooo's  and ah's on the net about these zillions
> of bytes of image data I decided to give one a shot this weekend.  I
> compiled display.c under Manx 3.20a running under 1.2B4 kickstart (the
> latest version I got).  All went well.  I downloaded 60 some odd thousand
> bytes of brick.img and got ready to be amazed.

> . . .

> I'm impressed.  60 some-odd k worth of data to generate an interlaced, HAM
> blue-green square.  Not bad.  Would not it have been easier to use RectFill?

> . . .

> I'll try again tonight with wood.img.  If that doesn't work I'll try 1.1.
> If that doesn't work I'll rm -r the image files and assume, that the only
> wood around is in my head (as usual) and not in an image file.

Don't give up too soon!  I managed to compile it with V3.03 of the Lattice
compiler (thanks to Matt Dillon's hints) under kickstart V1.1.  It displays
images with a real feeling of depth.  I was able to display brick.img,
dec.img, focus.img, glass.img, wood.img, and one or two others whose names
I can't recall.

Special thanks to Dave Wecker for more Amiga fun!

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

jea@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Joanne Albano) (10/25/86)

In article <2018@videovax.UUCP>, stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
> Don't give up too soon!  I managed to compile it with V3.03 of the Lattice
> compiler (thanks to Matt Dillon's hints) under kickstart V1.1.  It displays
> {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

While trying to compile with Lattice 3.03 I get all kinds of
messages warning that pointers dont point to the same thing
and also an error concerning intuitionbase.

 Does this happen to anyone else?