[net.micro.amiga] Internal Memory Expansion for the Amiga?

macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439) (10/28/86)

I received this mail from someone. Does anyone have info on this
company and their product? Sounds like a real deal.

   "I have just ordered an INTERNAL 1 meg ram board with a battery clock
    that installs inside the 68000 socket with no soldering.

    The great part is that this kit was only $349.00!! That is the lowest
    price I've seen yet.

    The company claims the board is auto-config under 1.2, and will
    in no way interfere with additional bus add-ons, i.e, a PAL JR.
    20 meg drive with 1 meg ram will still work, giving 2.5 megs ram.

    The company advertises in Computer Shopper.  Their name and address
    is:

    	InterComputing Incorporated  	Phone: (800) 531-4747
    	2100 N. Hwy 360, Suite 2005
    	Grand Prairie, Texas 75050

    They claim they've shipped 400 units so far, with no complaints.
    Kits are back ordered 3 weeks, but I will post my impressions as
    soon as I receive it."

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (10/29/86)

In article <6134@decwrl.DEC.COM>, macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439) writes:
> I received this mail from someone. Does anyone have info on this
> company and their product? Sounds like a real deal.
>
>    "I have just ordered an INTERNAL 1 meg ram board with a battery clock
>     that installs inside the 68000 socket with no soldering.
>
>     The great part is that this kit was only $349.00!! That is the lowest
>     price I've seen yet.
>
>     The company claims the board is auto-config under 1.2, and will
>     in no way interfere with additional bus add-ons.

I spoke with these people - THEY SAID:

	1 Wait state
	Does NOT autoconfig under any o.s.

>     They claim they've shipped 400 units so far, with no complaints.
>     Kits are back ordered 3 weeks, but I will post my impressions as
>     soon as I receive it."

	Actually, that's 400 orders....not 400 shipped.

rick@mips.UUCP (Rick Frazier) (10/29/86)

> I received this mail from someone. Does anyone have info on this
> company and their product? Sounds like a real deal.
>
>    "I have just ordered an INTERNAL 1 meg ram board with a battery clock
>     that installs inside the 68000 socket with no soldering.

8-)  One Meg, INSIDE the 68000 socket???? Boy, these guys must be REALLY good,
I've never seen such miniaturization...  8-)
I assume that they have a mini board that happens to plug into the 68000
socket.  Hmm, not so bad an idea at that....maybe...

>     The great part is that this kit was only $349.00!! That is the lowest
>     price I've seen yet.
>
>     The company claims the board is auto-config under 1.2, and will
>     in no way interfere with additional bus add-ons, i.e, a PAL JR.
>     20 meg drive with 1 meg ram will still work, giving 2.5 megs ram.

(no smiley face -->) IN NO WAY interferes???  Weve been through this before
sports fans, Don't forget that old bugaboo, BUS LOADING.  Yes, it CAN interfere
if you "forget" that you can only put one 74F load on each signal (per the
schematic and expansion document from commodore) and you get carried away with
plugging in add ons outside the amiga box.  In addition, beware the old power
supply problem:  Don't assume that you can plug in many things without an
external supply.  The spec here says that you can take 1 amp from the expansion
connector.  This limit was not due to (only) the pin loading, but the power
budget for the rest of the amiga as well.  Yeah, I know, you can "get away
with it" for awhile, but eventually you may cause the power supply to go
south.

>     The company advertises in Computer Shopper.  Their name and address
>     is:
>
>     	InterComputing Incorporated  	Phone: (800) 531-4747
>     	2100 N. Hwy 360, Suite 2005
>     	Grand Prairie, Texas 75050
>
>     They claim they've shipped 400 units so far, with no complaints.
>     Kits are back ordered 3 weeks, but I will post my impressions as
>     soon as I receive it."

Don't get me wrong..... I'm not attacking this company, I think they've got
a reasonable idea, in putting the add-on inside (just think, no packaging
to build, keeps the cost down, no extra hardware hanging outside --- I wish
that I'd thought of it first---)                 BUT
you must never forget that it's all too easy to overload the power supply
AND the expansion bus if you plug in many (possibly even "more than one")
add-ons without an external, buffered and powered expansion chassis.
It is important to also remember that the 68000 socket is, in effect, the
expansion bus itself, (only the connector and location happen to be
different).  I'd hate to see the postings blaming the amiga for "poor design"
or "bum power supplies" that were a result of exceeding the DESIGN limits...

--
--Rick Frazier--  DISCLAIMER: The above is individual opinion (the result of my
imperfect recall of facts, real or imagined) in no way representing anyone else.