[net.micro.amiga] 1.2 Gamma 1 received

pjm@sdics.UUCP (Phil Mercurio) (10/22/86)

<>

Today (Oct. 21) I received the 1.2 Gamma 1 release of the developers'
software from C-A.  According to the cover letter, it is "a possible
release version of the 1.2 operating system".

I spent about a half-hour looking around for stuff that was not on
the 1.2 Beta 4 disks.  Here's what I found after looking through
the 7 disks they sent:

On the Workbench disk:
	CLI commands "setdate" and "version"
	System program "GraphicDump" -- haven't tried to use it yet.

On the Include disk:
	New amiga.lib and alink (I don't remember getting a new alink
	in previous beta releases).

	Also: a second "Include" disk where the comments have been
	removed from the .h and .i files (Thanks, C-A, for saving
	each of us the effort.)

On the Toolkit disk:
	New Wack with complete documentation and a Lisp-like macro
	capability. Performance monitor that plots CPU and memory usage.

The best part, however, are the ReadMe and AutoDocs disks.  To facilitate
wading through this massive body of text, C-A has provided them in
InfoMinder database format AND has provided a demo version of InfoMinder
sufficient for searching the database. The amount of text is so large,
it had to be split up into two disks.  (In case you didn't know, autodocs
are the Unix-manual-style entries for each of the library routines.)
I'm really impressed by this--it's a much better idea than having us print
all of that out.  This is a very strong move by both C-A and Byte by
Byte/Terrapin Software (makers of InfoMinder).   C-A provides us with a
truely useful substitute for a whole new hardcopy RKM, while Terrapin
gets some good exposure for an excellent product.  Both companies should
be applauded!

All of the disks have "Not to be copied without expressed written consent"
plastered all over them, and this is reiterated in the cover letter.  According
to the letter, "This version has NOT yet been passed by our QA; therefore,
this may not be the version released by Commodore to consumers." (emphasis
theirs)

They also mention that they will be expanding their software support
services and that they will start charging for "some of the new
and old services."  To offset this, they are offering a bounty for
the first hard-copy submission of a repeatable bug, in the form of
credit toward future software support fees.  Bugs received by Oct 17
earn $20, by Oct 24, $10, and by Oct 31, $5.  This seems fair, assuming
that the prices for software support are reasonable.

In summary:  A pre-release release of 1.2 has been shipped to even us
little peon developers.  Since the deadline for bug reports is hinted
at being Oct 31, we could actually see the real 1.2 in November.  The
release itself is of highly professional quality.  Kudos to C-A!

Before anyone asks: no, neither this, nor any or the other 1.2 releases,
includes updates to the Lattice C compiler, and no mention was made
of it.

I hope this wasn't too long.

Phil Mercurio
Quicksilver Software

Usenet:  	...!sdcsvax!sdics!pjm
PeopleLink: 	mercurio

curtis@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Curtis Crowson) (10/24/86)

In article <259@sdics.UUCP> pjm@sdics.UUCP (Phil Mercurio) writes:

>Before anyone asks: no, neither this, nor any or the other 1.2 releases,
>includes updates to the Lattice C compiler, and no mention was made
>of it.
>
>Phil Mercurio
>Quicksilver Software
>
>Usenet:  	...!sdcsvax!sdics!pjm
>PeopleLink: 	mercurio

My question is.... What about the updates to the Lattice C Compiler?  What
is the last REAL version that has been released?  Are the developers still
being updated?  The last version I have is for 3.02 and I know 3.03 is around
What's the story!?!

--Curtis
Georgia Institute of Technology

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (10/27/86)

In article <2485@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> Curtis Crowson writes :
> My question is.... What about the updates to the Lattice C Compiler?  What
> is the last REAL version that has been released?  Are the developers still
> being updated?  The last version I have is for 3.02 and I know 3.03 is around
> What's the story!?!
>
> --Curtis
> Georgia Institute of Technology

From my discussions with jmeissen (Release manager at lattice) the following
*facts* were gleaned :

a) If you bought your copy of C from Lattice and you sent in your
   registration card, then you were sent a registered update card.
   To update your compiler from 3.02 to 3.03 (the current release)
   you send in this card with $15 and they will send you a new
   disk and an addendum to your manual.

b) The next release of the C compiler is 3.10. Lattice has completed
   all testing and are waiting for the *new* manuals with the glossy
   covers and spiral wire bindings to come back from the publisher.
   When that happens they will send registered users a note that it
   is available and you will send in your Update card and some amount
   of money (probably more than $15) and they will send you both
   new disks and a new manual. Last word was they expect this to
   happen next week (11/4/1986)

c) If you bought the Amiga C package you can send in your master disk
   to Lattice and upgrade to 3.03 for $15 and switch over to Lattice
   support, or you can wait for Westchester to send you a letter
   indicating that there is a new C available and follow what ever
   instructions they may send you to get updated. (Note this will in
   all likelyhood involve sending in your master disk so sending it
   to Lattice might make your choice of actions mutually exclusive)

From reports of the Beta testers the new Lattice compiler eliminates
many of the complaints that were raised such as speed, code size, etc.
The best feature is that you can tell the compiler frontend to
invoke Blink instead of Alink (I believe it is even included on the
new disks)

--
--Chuck McManis

wagner@utcs.UUCP (10/31/86)

This may have been asked before, but I don't recall an answer.
What is the qualitative difference between getting Lattice C for the amiga
from Lattice or from Commodore.  It seems to double the price to go to
Commodore (at least here in Canada).  What am I getting for that money?

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)