[net.sf-lovers] Anne McCaffrey's female characters

Lubkin@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (10/29/85)

From: "Lubkin David"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

Poor Anne ... To L S Chabot:  look at the copyrights on Dragonquest and
Restoree.  They're only a few years apart.  The strength of Lessa should
have been a clue that something was amiss with Restoree.  She wrote
Restoree with tongue in cheek, as a parody of that kind of book.  To her
continuing chagrin, first the editors at Ballantine and now legions of
readers take the book as a straight adventure story.  The cover blurbs
are largely responsible I think.  And now you're accusing her of the
very attitudes she was lambasting in the book....

-- Lubkin

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (11/01/85)

In article <276@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> Lubkin@caip.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
>Poor Anne ... To L S Chabot:  look at the copyrights on Dragonquest and
>Restoree.  They're only a few years apart.  The strength of Lessa should
>have been a clue that something was amiss with Restoree.  She wrote
>Restoree with tongue in cheek, as a parody of that kind of book.  To her
>continuing chagrin, first the editors at Ballantine and now legions of
>readers take the book as a straight adventure story.  The cover blurbs
>are largely responsible I think.  And now you're accusing her of the
>very attitudes she was lambasting in the book....

In a short conversation with Anne McCaffrey at a book signing she said
that "Restoree" started out to be a straight romance novel but the
SF elements just kind on snuck in there and took over.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb