[net.micro.amiga] Surprising Guru Med.

claudio@ethz.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (10/21/86)

[Eat this one if you can. ]

Last night I got (once again) a guru meditation:

		84000009.48454C50

I noticed the strange address, and tried to translate it to ASCII:

                         48454C50
			 H E L P

--
				claudio

(* ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 Disclaimer: I'm not working for ETH-Zurich! I'm just a CS student.

E-Mail: UUCP:   claudio@ethz.uucp
        BITNET: K538912@CZHRZU1A
  Mail: Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster, Switzerland.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- *)

dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) (11/02/86)

In article <391@ethz.UUCP> claudio@ethz.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) writes:

>Last night I got (once again) a guru meditation:
>
>		84000009.48454C50
>
>I noticed the strange address, and tried to translate it to ASCII:
>
>                         48454C50
>			 H E L P

You can sometimes translate the guru meditation number '84000009' into
text by looking it up in the exec/alerts.h file
In this case Intuition noticed something wrong and decided it was better
to stop before any more harm was done.
The 'HELP' message is a catch word for exec. When exec finds out it cannot
put up an alert with the system in it's current state, it puts "HELP" in
location 0, It then resets and starts to bring the system back up. While
bringing the system back up it checks for 'HELP' in 0, if it is there
it goes directly to putting up the deadend alert message that it couldn't
get out before reseting the system.
Dale