[net.micro.amiga] Tan versus blue floppies

rokicki@navajo.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (10/27/86)

[ ,---\- losin' control ]

I didn't believe it, but that fellow was right!  I've gotten
a few disk errors on some tan floppies, but the blue ones
hold up every time!  Be careful, folks; last time I went to a
computer store to buy floppies, they tried to palm off some
tan floppies on me claiming they were exactly the same brand
and everything; I resisted and I'm glad I did.

Buy blue floppies, let the Mac people use the tan ones.

	So far, in all of my disks, I've gotten a read error on exactly one...
and, Guess What!!!!

			... (Drum roll)

	IT WAS TAN!

						-Matt

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/29/86)

The last time I looked, most manufacturers have their product
available in at least three colors, the most popular of which are:
putty (previously called "tan"), blue, and black.  Other color
vairiants such as white and red are also available from several
vendors.

I've used lots of "tan" and "blue" floppies, both from Sony, and
have not noted any statistical difference in quality.  The "tan"
Sonys were even bulk-packed, and didn't even say "Sony" on the
stainless steel sliding part; to make matters worse they were only
$1.49 each (they were designed for OEMs).  Still the "tan" ones do
just as well.

The main thing is to worry about making sure that you buy 2S2D
diskettes, as the 1S2D may eventually shed oxide (and your data)
off the unpolished side.

I do have one gripe about the old Dysan red disks, though.  A
friend mailed me some P/D programs on two Dysans.  The ultrasonic
welding was so poor that after several insertions in the Amiga, the
plastic shell separated, and I was left with an handful of diskette
parts when I ejected the offending diskette.

Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP  ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm , or whatever...)

beilke@puff.wisc.edu (Matt Beilke) (10/30/86)

In article <313@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> I've used lots of "tan" and "blue" floppies, both from Sony, and
> have not noted any statistical difference in quality.  The "tan"
> Sonys were even bulk-packed, and didn't even say "Sony" on the
> stainless steel sliding part; to make matters worse they were only
> $1.49 each (they were designed for OEMs).  Still the "tan" ones do
> just as well.

  I really don't think the color actually makes a difference, after
all it's just the plastic surrounding the actual disk.  The important
thing to consider when purchasing disk(ette)s is the manufacturer.
In other words, buy from a reputable company (i.e., Maxell, Sony, etc.)
and stay away from the no-names, and disks that you know are of
cheap quality (i.e., BASF, Verbatim, Brown Disk, etc.).

> The main thing is to worry about making sure that you buy 2S2D
> diskettes, as the 1S2D may eventually shed oxide (and your data)
> off the unpolished side.

  This is also VERY important.  Don't you realize that those single
sided disks are single sided for a reason?  One side did not pass the
quality test!  So if you are willing to risk your data and/or programs
to a defective disk, well, all I can say is, tough luck if you lose it.

  -Matt

bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) (10/30/86)

In all the use of floppies that I have done, the TANs tan your hide, even
the ones from Amiga proper. I always buy Sony, either single or double but
mostly double. They have a failure rate of 1/3500, next closest is 1/3000
but a little more is worth it. All my cassettes are Maxell also, no problems.

net@uwmacc.UUCP (jeff kesselman) (10/31/86)

In article <8610282057.AA08032@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	So far, in all of my disks, I've gotten a read error on exactly one...
>and, Guess What!!!!
>
>			... (Drum roll)
>
>	IT WAS TAN!

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have a blue disk that refuses to even take
a format (the last 16 tracks do not validate).

(But this is a pretty silly discussion, anyway!)

Jeff Kesselman
UUCP: ihnp4!uwvax!maccunix!net
AARPA: net@unix.macc.wisc.edu

jeanne@reed.UUCP (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (10/31/86)

and then in article <278@puff.wisc.edu> beilke@puff.wisc.edu (Matt Beilke)
wrote:
>  This is also VERY important.  Don't you realize that those single
>sided disks are single sided for a reason?  One side did not pass the
>quality test!  So if you are willing to risk your data and/or programs
>to a defective disk, well, all I can say is, tough luck if you lose it.

Sorry, but you're both wrong.
All manufacturers of 3.5" microfloppies that I know of polish both
sides of the disk, first of all.  Oxide ain't going to come off.

On the point that Matt makes: most single-sided floppies either aren't
tested at all on the second side, or test fine on both.  It is rare to
find a disk sold as single-sided that has medium problems on the second
side.  (I have also heard that some "single-sided" disks have tested OK
on both sides, but are sold as SS because of market conditions...I don't know
whether this is true.)

What I do know is that I use a fairly large number of these disks, and
I never buy disks labeled as DS if I can help it (because of the price
difference).  I have noted no higher a rate of failure than on identical
disks I use as SS.

(I don't know the mechanics of the Amiga drives, but the Mac's SS drive
has a pressure pad where the second head is on the DS drive.  This pressure
pad can wipe gunk onto the second side of a disk, making it a bad idea
to make a DS disk out of one that you've already used in a SS drive
(consider the consequences of the second drive head plowing into said
gunk).  This topic was discussed on BIX's Mac forum a while ago, and I
believe the salient parts of the discussion were reprinted in the Sept.
'86 issue of Byte.  The conclusion was that the "SS/DS" labels were
mostly meaningless in judging disk quality/suitability for DS use.)

***Wistful Digression***
Although I am not an Amiga owner, I read this newsgroup because I do use
a computer (the Mac) whose operating environment has many similarities
to that of the Amiga.  But I am disheartened by the attitude shown here
whenever the Mac is mentioned.  ("Hostility" is not too strong a word to
use for it.)  I have seen the Mac lumped in with the IBM PC, presumably
simply on the grounds that both machines are used by more businesspeople
than use the Amiga. I have seen Amiga/Mac wars in which the debate was
seemingly limited to assertions such as:
	"All Mac owners are yuppies!"
	"Macs are useless because they don't do *true* multitasking!"
and others which amount to "Yer machine's a wimp!"  I've seen virtually
no one willing to accept the idea that both machines have good qualities,
and as a consequence I've seen no discussion at all of *the good things
they have in common*: the concept of a highly intuitive, visually-oriented
user interface, the experimentation with input devices other than
typewriter keyboards, bit-mapped screens, and standardized information
exchange between programs.

Wouldn't talking about those things be more interesting than endless
pointless putdowns?
--
jeanne a. e. devoto           |    "The mind is an infinite resource...but
...!tektronix!reed!jeanne     |     only if you don't squander it."

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (11/03/86)

I've had a couple of hundred floppies go through my drives, and I've
had errors on three:  TWO blue and ONE tan.  So what does this mean?
I dunno. . .

beilke@puff.wisc.edu (Matt Beilke) (11/03/86)

In article <4409@reed.UUCP>, jeanne@reed.UUCP (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:
> In article <313@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) wrote:
> >> The main thing is to worry about making sure that you buy 2S2D
> >> diskettes, as the 1S2D may eventually shed oxide (and your data)
> >> off the unpolished side.
> and then in article <278@puff.wisc.edu> beilke@puff.wisc.edu (Matt Beilke)
> wrote:
> >  This is also VERY important.  Don't you realize that those single
> >sided disks are single sided for a reason?  One side did not pass the
> >quality test!  So if you are willing to risk your data and/or programs
> >to a defective disk, well, all I can say is, tough luck if you lose it.
>
> Sorry, but you're both wrong.
> All manufacturers of 3.5" microfloppies that I know of polish both
> sides of the disk, first of all.  Oxide ain't going to come off.

> On the point that Matt makes: most single-sided floppies either aren't
> tested at all on the second side, or test fine on both.  It is rare to...

  A) You quoted me out of context, I did NOT say the oxide was going to
     rub off.

  B) If the single sided disk are not tested, how do they determine which
     disks are to be single sided and which are to be double sided?
     (Perhaps a random sorter)

  C) Back to the point, they failure rates of single sided disks are _MUCH_
     higher than the failure rates of double sided disks. (And this is
     what I meant by what I said.)

>     What I do know is that I use a fairly large number of these disks, and
> I never buy disks labeled as DS if I can help it (because of the price
> difference).  I have noted no higher a rate of failure than on identical
> disks I use as SS.

    All I can say is that so far you have been very lucky.

>                   ...  But I am disheartened by the attitude shown here
> whenever the Mac is mentioned.  ("Hostility" is not too strong a word to
> use for it.)  I have seen the Mac lumped in with the IBM PC, presumably ...

    Well,  the Mac shouldn't really be discussed in this newsgroup at all,
except for comparisons.  What you say however is true,  the Mac is a nice
little machine in its own right, BUT it lacks open architecture, true
multitasking, etc.  Besides, its natural for someone to say
'My Computer is better than yours.'

NOTE:  This arcticle was NOT meant to be a flame at Jeanne.

 UUCP  --> ...!{ihnp4,topaz,seismo,harvard}!uwvax!puff!beilke /kirk!diskman
     //       ARPA---> beilke@puff.wisc.edu           \uhura!scotty!diskman
    //        CSNET--> beilke%puff.wisc.edu@csnet-relay      \checkov!diskman
\\ // AMIGA   UUCP---> ...!{ihnp4,topaz,seismo,harvard}!uwvax!puff!beilke
 \//  RULES!  USPS---> Matt Beilke, 451 Witte B, Madison, WI 53706, USA

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (11/05/86)

In article <1993@well.UUCP> bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) writes:

>the ones from Amiga proper. I always buy Sony, either single or double but
>mostly double. They have a failure rate of 1/3500, next closest is 1/3000

I have always bought either Sony or Maxell disks for distribution of my
library, and have had exactly 2 (two) come back.  Both were perfectly
readable by my system but I chucked them anyway, attributing the problem
to minor drive alignment differences.

Does anyone know where to get a drive test disk?  I.E. one of those
specially recorded disks that have deliberate recording variations in
track placement and intensity, and the corresponding software to interpret
the results of trying to read it.

(Gee, sure is nice to FINALLY be back on the net without having to
 call the Bay area from Phoenix!)

-Fred

Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{mcdsun,well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976