[net.micro.amiga] Vaporware

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (11/08/86)

From: lyles@tybalt.caltech.edu (Lyle N. Scheer)

In article <1494@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) writes:

>Also while I'm on the subject of vaporware, are there any good rumors around
>about the sidecar? Folks in the various user groups in my area are really
>hopeful for this product.

	Well, all I can say is that I've seen it.  This was when I was back
in New Jersey at JAUG(Jersey Amiga etc..)  Anyway, this users group meets at
Rutgers U and usually has some good stuff and MANY people.  The sidecar
mentioned was serial #0004, a prototype.  Essentially, it was all everyone
says it is.... true IBM emulation with the Amiga still available for processes
and able to use hardware hooked up to the Sidecar.  The real and serious
problems with this product is that it is a closed ended peripheral(it does
NOT pass the bus) and it HAS to be the first peripheral on the bus.  This
means you can have NO other periperals on the bus, bad news.  You can, of
course, hook IBM hardware up and have expandibility that way or expand off of
the other Amiga ports(parallel, etc).  That's all I really have to say about
it.  I wouldn't buy one, but, I have no use for IBM compatibility other than
the software emulator(It'll do).  I'd rather use my Amiga as an Amiga, but I
do see the advantages this gives to a businessman.

							Wonko the Sane
						    (sane for now, at least)