[net.micro.amiga] checkbreak

hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) (11/09/86)

Today I came across the missing binary libraries for checkbreak and
resetbreak; they were in a very recent net article:

	Date: 7 Nov 86 08:26:56 GMT

a uuencoded update for my.lib by Matt Dillon.  Thanks, Matt - I'm having
tons of fun with all the interesting stuff you've been putting on the net
for some time now...

For anyone else who may have responded to my questions, thanks to you as
well.  (I haven't gotten anything yet, but the Dillon update helps quite
a bit.)  Of course, I still don't have btoa.c, and I have no idea what the
code for checkbreak and resetbreak look like, but shucks; - people in hell
want ice water.  I was able to compile the IFF dump and encode programs
with the new my.lib using Lattice 3.03, however I would like to report
that the sizes of the executables I got were consistently larger.  I know
about the -s and -v flags for LC2, and I even snapped all the intermediate
files to Ram: like a good boy would have done.  So the difference must be
that Matt is using v1.2 and/or a slightly later version of Lattice C than
I am using.  For general information, here is what I have so far:

my.lib (compiled w/lc3.03 and is missing something(s))  11670
my.lib (from .uu) Ref below to this is "a"              12032
my.lib (new .uu)  Ref below to this is "b"              12676

iffencode (from .uu)                                     9776
iffdump (from .uu)                                       8508

iffencode (compiled w/lc3.03, my.lib b)                 10376
iffdump (compiled w/lc3.03), my.lib b)                   8752

setfont (from .uu)                                       4900
setfont (compiled w/lc3.03, my.lib a)                    4940
setfont (compiled w/lc3.03, my.lib b) see note           5492

shell 2.01 (compiled w/lc3.03, my.lib a)                26864
shell 2.03 (from .uu)                                   31092

note: This is the latest version of setfont, the "too powerful" version :-)
       Also, note that there is a reference in the file "dotty" to a font
       "2", though it is not included in the uuencoded fonts ("1", also
       referenced in "dotty" is included.)

I have not as yet ascertained that all the above mentioned executables,
compiled or otherwise, are without bugs; but they do all load without
summoning the Guru.

Typical compilation I used is of the form:

LC1 -i:include/ -oRam:filename.q filename
LC2 -s -v -oRam:filename.o Ram:filename
Alink FROM :lib/AStartup.obj+filename.o LIB :lib/my.lib+:lib/amiga.lib+:lib/lc.lib TO a.out
Delete Ram:filename.o

Some who are wiser (and evidently less patient) than I have advised that it
is better (especially when working your own code) to have something in
s/Startup-Sequence that loads all of the libraries (and the includes as well,
if you have more than 512K) into Ram: and uses commands like the ones above,
except with SYS: assigned to Ram: where the object of the game is to hope
that only one disk file (for reading or writing, as appropriate) is open for
any given command line.
								Howard Hull
[If yet unproven concepts are outlawed in the range of discussion...
                   ...Then only the deranged will discuss yet unproven concepts]
	{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo} !hao!hull