[net.micro.amiga] memory

cc1@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/28/85)

Wait a second...
Amiga, ddid I hear you correctly?
Did you say that this wonderful 512K to 8 meg system Can't Give Out MORE THAN
32K AT A TIME?

<FLAME ON>
WHAT IS THIS? Aren't you aware that this is STUPID? HAven't you seen the
troubles people have with 64K segment pc's? (no brand mentioned, but you
should know). And now you limit it to 32 Bleeping Kay?

<Flame off>

My biggest complaint with the 8088 series is that it is too limited by
the 64K segment stuff. Now, you are doing what? What happens if my
program is larger than 32K? What happens if I am using a large data
structure? (Or even a moderate one, say 30 byte records and an array
of 1000 records?)

THIS MUST GO!!!

I don't care what you do internally, but a user must be able to request
an arbitrary amount of memory and have it returned to them if possible.

PLEASE get this fixed in 1.1. Pretty please.

(And how about putting an 8 bit adder and comparator into an optional
expansion board? Please put two comparators--the adder is BASE, the
comparators MIN and MAX. If they say 'overflow', the program needs to
terminate.)

			Michael Gersten
p.s. Disclaimer goes here.

steve@wlbr.UUCP (Steve Childress) (12/03/85)

In article <7801@ucla-cs.ARPA>, cc1@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
> Did you say that this wonderful 512K to 8 meg system Can't Give Out MORE THAN
> 32K AT A TIME?
>
> <FLAME ON>
> WHAT IS THIS? Aren't you aware that this is STUPID? HAven't you seen the
> troubles people have with 64K segment pc's? (no brand mentioned, but you
> should know). And now you limit it to 32 Bleeping Kay?
> <Flame off>
> 			Michael Gersten

My gosh ... the !@@#$&**$ segmentation in the 80xx micros is why I aligned
with Amiga ... I've fought the Intel chip 64K follies for too many hours.
You Sun-using developers have gotta be sensitive to the frustrations of
those of us who are intolerant of 16 bit technologies like the 808x's.

Don't do this to us! Hopefully the original flame was in error.

		Regards,
			Steve Childress
			{trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex} !wlbr!steve
		        or	 		        ...wlbr!wlbreng1!steve

french@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (12/08/85)

From: "french robert%d.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

>wlbr!steve@caip.rutgers.edu 3 Dec 85 01:44:01 GMT
>
> >cc1@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
> >Did you say that this wonderful 512K to 8 meg system Can't Give Out MORE THAN
> >32K AT A TIME?
>rokicki@Navajo.ARPA 5 Dec 85 19:42:24 GMT
>
>I just heard a rumor that the Amiga will not allocate a chunk of memory
>larger than 64K.

Well, unless I have a very strange Amiga, there is no WAY this is true.
I have made requests to malloc in excess of 128,000 bytes, and the system
has never burped.  Also, if you look at the program FRAGS on the Lattice
C disk, you will see that at times chunks in excess of 210K are available.

There is no reason to segment a totally unsegmented architecture.  Any
segmentation in the Amiga would just be arbitrarily assigned by the
people who wrote Intuition.

               Robert French
               French#Robert%d@LLL-MFE.ARPA

rimas@umcp-cs.UUCP (Rimas Blekaitis) (11/08/86)

of the Amiga and need good documentation on memory expansion. This would includeschematics, timing of the bus and the bus rate, the uses of the pins on
the memory expansion slot, etc... Any good source (besides the Hardware Ref
Manual, which I have) recommended?

grr@cbmvax.commodore.COM (George Robbins) (11/10/86)

In article <4247@umcp-cs.UUCP> rimas@umcp-cs.UUCP (Rimas Blekaitis) writes:
>of the Amiga and need good documentation on memory expansion. This would includeschematics, timing of the bus and the bus rate, the uses of the pins on
>the memory expansion slot, etc... Any good source (besides the Hardware Ref
>Manual, which I have) recommended?

The memory expansion connector on the front of the machine is essentially
limited to adding the other 256K of chip memory.  It has the signals needed
to do this much and no more.

The expansion connector on the side of the machine is much more flexible
(take that Atari!) and is documented in the Expansion Architure Document
availabe from Commodore.

---------------------------------------

SUPPORT SERVICES

Due to finite resources, we are forced to restrict some of our support
services.  However, we are willing to provide a number of materials to
anyone.

Schematics and Expansion spec's  $20.00

To order, send a check payable to Commodore Business Machines to:

                   Bernadette Loughery
                   Software Tech Support
                   Commodore Business Machines
                   1200 Wilson Drive
                   West Chester, PA 19380

Be sure to specify the name of the item you are ordering and include your
name and address.

These materials are provided as is.  In the past we have provided free
upgrades; however, this is not a policy.
--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr