[net.micro.amiga] battery backed ram units?

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (11/07/86)

I remember reading some time ago about some company that was planning to
market some solid state disk units for the amiga, like 8-15 megs. Does anyone
know if anything like this actually came about? Also, as an alternative, is
there anything around like a 8 meg battery backed ram board for the amiga?

Also while I'm on the subject of vaporware, are there any good rumors around
about the sidecar? Folks in the various user groups in my area are really
hopeful for this product.

--
The views above are those of my keyboard, not my organization.
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee

eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) (11/08/86)

Yeah, here's a good rumour (or maybe even truth): I hear you can
actually trek up to Canada and buy a SideCar now. Perhaps someone from
the Great White North would like to shed some further light on the
beast?

Eric
--
ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS or LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...{ihnp4,pyrnj}!topaz!eric

wagner@utcs.UUCP (11/11/86)

In article <6874@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>Yeah, here's a good rumour (or maybe even truth): I hear you can
>actually trek up to Canada and buy a SideCar now. Perhaps someone from
>the Great White North would like to shed some further light on the
>beast?

Funny you should ask!  You can't really buy a SideCar here yet, but there was
one on my dealers desk today when I went in to visit.  He said that 450
will be available in Canada in the next few weeks, and then there won't be
any until the new year.  No explanation for why.  He claims (despite another
note here) that SideCar does not insist on being the first (and therefore only)
peripheral at the buss connection.

Same dealer also claims that 1.2 is now available in the states for about
$80 US, and that, today, Commodore Canada was meeting to decide if they
were going to charge the equivalent amount (about $120 Canadian) for 1.2,
or if they were going to sell it for less.

Anyone know anything about this?

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs or ...!utzoo!utcs!wagner)