[net.sf-lovers] Big Bugs - any pointers??

RNeal.DMSP@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA (10/15/85)

From: RNeal@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA

I am looking for stories or possibly essay-type discussions about giant
insects.  Not interested in stories which have giant insects without
explanation.  I would like to see a good rationalization behind their
existance.  Can a combination of gravity, atmospheric pressure,
different organ structure,etc.  allow insects which e close to human
size?  There are lots of stories with human-size intelligent insects,
but I cannot think of any with good biology and physics behind them.
Discussion welcome!

               rusty

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (10/17/85)

Try the Sector 12 General Hospital books by James White, such as
STAR SURGEON (the first, I think), MAJOR OPERATION (the best, I
feel), AMBULANCE SHIP, STAR HEALER, etc.  He proposes a fragile
race of human-sized insectoid beings from the low-gravity world
of Cinruss, one of whom, Dr. Prilicla, is a regular in the series.

I always liked White, though he's waxed formulaistic in his
later books.  His short story TABLEAU from his collection THE
ALIENS AMONG US is one of my all-time favourites.  His books
are published by Del Rey in North America and Corgi in England.
White lives in Ireland.
--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto

dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) (10/18/85)

> From: RNeal@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
>
> I am looking for stories or possibly essay-type discussions about giant
> insects.

Look at James White's "Sector General" stories.  Also, Heinlein's
"Starship Troopers" has some discussion about insectoid life.
--

David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!circadia!dave
               FIDO:  14/415 (SYSOP)

ewiles@netex.UUCP (Ed Wiles) (11/02/85)

In article <188@circadia.UUCP>, dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) writes:
> > From: RNeal@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
>
> I am looking for stories or possibly essay-type discussions about giant
> insects.

I suggest "Nor Crystal Tears", the pre-quel(sp?) to Alan Dean Foster's
'Humannx' stories.  Very good!

--
---

				E. L. Wiles
				Tech. Staff Member
				NetExpress Inc.

Quote:	TIME, August 12th 1985, pg 23, William Safire:
	"... Politics without a villain is like a lens without a focal point."

Disclaimer: The words of this message have no relation to anything but
	    my own mind.  (And sometimes not even that!)

UUCP:	{seismo,rlgvax}!hadron!netex!ewiles