[net.games.board] A review of Pax Britannica

mazina@pur-ee.UUCP (Der Kaiser) (09/04/85)

In article <395@brl-sem.ARPA> jeffh@brl-sem.ARPA (the Shadow) writes:
>Machiavelli  (Avalon Hill)
>Pax Britannica  (?Victory Games?)
>
>I am interested in these two games, but have heard nothing
>about how good they are.  If anyone has these or has played
>them, could you please post a review?
>			the Shadow
>			ARPA:	<jeffh@brl>
>			UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl!jeffh

	Pax Britannica is a game for 4-7 players (preferrably 6). It is
based on the expansion of imperialism, during the 1800's. The players
each take a country {one of: England, Russia, Germany, France, U.S.,
Japan, and Italy} and proceed to colonize the world. It has a relatively
uncomplicated economic system, basically buying different size colonies,
and getting money back from them. Excess money is used to buy Victory
points, which are necessary to win thje game :-) There is also a seldom
used military system. I say seldom used, because of one of the unique ideas
behind the game, the European Tensions Index. In the period, none of the
Great Powers wanted a war, and were almost always willing to compromise, with
the attitude that if a war broke out, they would all lose thereby. Therefore,
the European Tensions index keeps track of the tensions generated by any of
the following things: building navies, attacking other people's colonies,
breaking treaties, and fighting wars. If the index goes over 100, the
"Great War" is considered to have started. The person who starts the
Great War takes substantial losses in terms of Victory Points. Also, if
four of the five European Great Powers gets involved in a war, the Great
War starts. This gives the interesting result of everyone preparing for
war, but doing their damnedest not to fight one!

	Well, you get the general picture. I bet by now, you want to know
how well it plays. The answer is: fairly well. There are a LOT of rules,
and most of the are necessary. If you don't have someone there who knows
the rules, expect the first game to be frustrating... Not a game for
beginners... As to play balance, again, it is fairly well balanced.
Unfortunately, the Victory point costs are not right. The Italians can
probably win without doing anything at all, due to their low Victory
point multiplier. Also, the Russians are a horribly DULL country to
play, as they are restricted to mucking about with China, and hoping
the Chinese revolt, so they can send in the troops to "restore order".
The game is best played with these countries as minor countries....
All in all, a LONG but enjoyable game....

To Come: a review of Machiavelli

					Thomas Ruschak
					pur-ee!mazina

"By the pricking of my thumbs,