[net.games.board] New rigged world title rules

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (09/04/85)

At a recent meeting of the International Chess federation FIDE
in Tunisia, the Russians managed to put their stamp on the new
world championship title rules to make it easier for Karpov to
keep his title of world champ, and -more important- to guarantee
a Soviet monopoly on the world title.
Here are the new rigged rules, "a la soviet":

1) A limited 24 games match. In case of a draw (12-12),the champ
retains his title.

2) If the champ looses, he still can invoke the rematch clause,
and play a second "decisive" match with the same rules as in 1).

3) The selection process to determine the next challenger of the
world champ is as follows:
    a) A K.O. match tournament between 12 contenders from the
       Interzonals, and 4 seeded from the last cycle will
       produce 2 candidates.
    b) The loser of the last world championship match (karpov
       or Kasparov in this instance) will join these 2 candidates
       for a 3-way playoff tournament. The winner of this
       tournament will be the challenger.

It will be nearly impossible for a non-soviet chess player to
become challenger. Because, statistically, at least two soviet
players have always reached the candidates tournament, this
rule 3-b seems designed to allow collusion between the soviet
candidates.

According to rumours, they unsuccessfully tried to push for a rule
limiting the money purse of the world championship match, in
order to further de-motivate any possible "capitalist" contender.

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (09/06/85)

What would you expect from a country that uses chemical weapons and
"butterfly" mines to kill Afghan children?

--
Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

"That's the news from Lake Wobegon ... "

ken@rochester.UUCP (Blade Runner) (09/07/85)

In article <2111@burdvax.UUCP> bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:
>What would you expect from a country that uses chemical weapons and
>"butterfly" mines to kill Afghan children?

Please keep your political opinions to net.politics!

	Ken
--
UUCP: ..!{allegra,decvax,seismo}!rochester!ken ARPA: ken@rochester.arpa
USnail:	Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627. Voice: Ken!

ewa@sdcc3.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (09/12/85)

In article <11439@rochester.UUCP> ken@seneca.UUCP (Blade Runner) writes:
>In article <2111@burdvax.UUCP> bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:
>>What would you expect from a country that uses chemical weapons and
>>"butterfly" mines to kill Afghan children?
>
>Please keep your political opinions to net.politics!
>
>	Ken

I really don't think anyone is going to be offended by a little pro-humanity
propaganda here in net.games.board!  Perhaps we should rot13 all articles
dealing with wargames because they might upset the pacifists.  We could even
rot13 the economic games as to protect the lower income readers.  This news-
group is not a forum for trifle flaming (hopefully this article will be the
last we see of it). In short, give us a break!

Eric Anderson, UC San Diego {elsewhere}!ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ewa

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (09/17/85)

> At a recent meeting of the International Chess federation FIDE
> in Tunisia, the Russians managed to put their stamp on the new
> world championship title rules to make it easier for Karpov to
> keep his title of world champ, and -more important- to guarantee
> a Soviet monopoly on the world title.

An interesting point: those rules are strangely reminiscent of the
rules governing the America's Cup. They're somewhat more one-sided,
I must admit, but the form & intent are remarkably similar.