[net.games.board] King Arthur Pendragon

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (11/18/85)

Just received the Chaosium mailing of their Christmas brochure.
Splashed all over the front page is a big spread on King Arthur
Pendragon.  This LOOKS like one of those games that you want to
buy for the map alone.  (In the ad they cleverly show only the
periphery of the map of Arthur's England.)

Anyone out there own the game?  Worth playing?  Worth hanging on
the wall?  Listed retail cost is $ 20.00.

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (11/22/85)

In article <330@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:

>Anyone out there own the game?  Worth playing?  Worth hanging on
>the wall?  Listed retail cost is $ 20.00.

I've seen the game, run correctly it is a very nice game, run by my friend
who owns the game it is so-so.  The map *is* hanging on my appartment wall...

I can't say if it is worth buying, The last thing I bought was Book 6
for Traveller, but it looks neat...

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

Kyllara :	What did you just do?
Moederan :	I don't know but it's going to be fun...

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/10/85)

My friends in Santa Barbara, Ca., own and play the game.

In short, the game is yet another variant of RQ. The problem with the
game is its limited time scope and... its realism!

Time frame is the most restrictive I've encuntered since Salem Witch Hunt. You
have on the order of a century, with things happening as they did in King Arthur
mythos.Then again, if your character sets out at the age of 18-19, dies around
35 ( if you are THAT good and THAT lucky!) you have at least 5 characters to go
through....

Realism is one of the major strives of the RQ-based systems. Internal logic and
concistency are one of the main advantages ( and DISadvatages) of this game (and
most other Chaosium games). If your forte is killing dragons and giants and
heal all wounds overnight ( or, by spell, in 1 round ) stick to  D&D. In this
game a broken leg will take you out ofcirculation for 3-4 weeks of gametime.

Same happens with magic. Just think of what kind of magic was used in Round
Table stories. Uh-huh! Merlin, Morgan le Fay (sp?), and few other NPCs is all
the magic you'll see.

SUMMARY: A good game. Needs a REALLY GOOD Game Master who KNOWS the period and
its mythos, and understands the inner logic of the system. Requires SERIOUS
players. Seems to be a lot of fun when those conditions are satisfied.
NOT a HEROIC fantasy, just FANTASY HEROES....
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (12/14/85)

> My friends in Santa Barbara, Ca., own and play the game.
>
> In short, the game is yet another variant of RQ. The problem with the
> game is its limited time scope and... its realism!
>
> Time frame is the most restrictive I've encuntered since Salem Witch Hunt.

Thanks for the review!  I've been wanting to try Witch Hunt for a
long time.  What is it like?