[net.games.board] Witch Hunt game and a complaint about Ultimate Role Playing

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/17/85)

In article <480@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
>I've been wanting to try Witch Hunt for a
>long time.  What is it like?

The only info I have on Witch Hunt is whatever the reviewer said in one of
the old Dragon issues, which was nothing good. Time frame of a week or two,
unrealistic combat rules, unpleasant game overall.

Plus, any game that takes what happened in Salem at its face value as sold
by the Church is below my contempt.

As long as we are on the Church subject:
******FLAME ON!***********

I have stumbled accross a singularly unpleasant publication called "The Ultimate
Role Playing" (?or something to that extend) which advertises itsef to be a
compleate guide and manual for any and all FRPG.

Well, I looked through it and here is what it is : an unrealistic, amateurish,
contrived attempt at creating an FRPG based on Jehovah(Christianity)/Satan
(the rest of the world) conflict.
Magic is Good only if its granted through prayer from God (Jehovah).
All phylosophies are based on 12-14 century Christian thought and the SCA-type
embelishment of the actual medieval life. NON-CHRISTIAN religions and magic
are given a very short chapter in the end of the book (appendix?).

Overall, the book was irritating more than anything else. Here we have a
published attempt of someone's game design marketed as a deceisive and
fundamental work on the entire FRPG field. And, unlike other works in its
genre (Basic Role Playing from Chaosium, ICE, Claw/Weapon/Magic Law, etc),
this publication blithely(sp?) ignores all th previously done work and takes
a basic D&D-ish approach as the paramount Game Design.

What really pissed me off is the warped description of everything non-christian.
The audacious assumption that only a Baptised Christian can be Good  and
everything NON-Christian is Bad, is allied with Satan and should be destroyed
is revolting and serves to further the disinformation and anti-FRPG propaganda
the Christian Church and rabid "Born-Again"s have been dissemenating.

What a joke if some well meaning parent buys this trashy book as a present for
their teen-ager who gets interested in gaming. "Here is your present! You wanted
those AD&D books, but there was 6(7?) of them so I bought you this one! It's
just one book and you'll learn EVERYTHING from it!"

--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg