[net.games.board] Advanced Squad Leader

dean@puff.UUCP (12/21/85)

*** replace this line with your 10-3 Leader ***

I was just wandering through our local games store when I found saw that
Avalon Hill had finally released the ASL rules and the first ASL 'game'
(I have forgotten what they are calling them now) called 'Uncommon Valor'
(I think).  The ASL was $40 and UV was $45.  ASL is all rules (in a 3 ring
binder so rule updates are easy) and UV contains all the German, Russian,
and I think the Nordic counters plus all of their armor.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you out there in netland have any
information/reviews/comments about ASL.  I am an avid gamer, and own Squad
Leader and Cross of Iron, so replies need not presume zero knowlege.

Thanks,
dean

Dean Luick
uucp:	...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!dream!dean
arpa:	dean@dream.wisc.edu

dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) (12/23/85)

> I was just wandering through our local games store when I found saw that
> Avalon Hill had finally released the ASL rules and the first ASL 'game'
>	. . .
> Anyway, I was wondering if any of you out there in netland have any
> information/reviews/comments about ASL.  I am an avid gamer, and own Squad
> Leader and Cross of Iron, so replies need not presume zero knowlege.

I always wait three years before I buy any Avalon Hill product. That way I
don't have to buy it more than once to get their "fixed" version.
--
Don Corey
AT&T Bell Laboratories

don@umd5.UUCP (12/26/85)

In article <666@bonnie.UUCP> dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) writes:
>> I was just wandering through our local games store when I found saw that
>> Avalon Hill had finally released the ASL rules and the first ASL 'game'
>>	. . .
>> Anyway, I was wondering if any of you out there in netland have any
>> information/reviews/comments about ASL.  I am an avid gamer, and own Squad
>> Leader and Cross of Iron, so replies need not presume zero knowledge.
>
>I always wait three years before I buy any Avalon Hill product. That way I
>don't have to buy it more than once to get their "fixed" version.

  Ah, but that's where you are wrong this time! Avalon Hill has come to their
senses and has devised a new format for presenting (and fixing) the rules.

  ASL comes in a VERY nice three-ring binder. The front and back inside covers
explain in detail the meaning of the various counter types. Each chapter
is well illustrated with full color diagrams and a number of situation
examples. Each chapter is separated from the next by a full color, fold out
divider which duplicates all of the necessary charts found in that chapter.
At present, there are six chapters: Infantry & Basic Rules, Terrain, Ordnance
& Offboard Artillery, Vehicles, Design Your Own (scenarios), and Deluxe ASL.

  ASL is quite a different game from SL and the gamettes -- The old rules have
bee totally reorganized, rewritten, and changed. I feel that the playability
has been greatly increased. The counters have been changed to accomodate the
necessary rule changes.

  However, one of the most important elements of ASL is the way in which
errata is handled. All you have to do is send Avalon Hill the coupons
included with the game. In return, they will send you *new sheets* with the
changes which you can simply put in the binder. No more penciling in changes!
The new chapters , when available, will be just be put in the binder. These
chapters will include : Miscellaneous (paratroops, aircraft), North Africa,
the Pacific Theatre, Campaign Game, ASL Training Manual, Postal ASL, and
ASL Analysis.

  As you can see, your copy of ASL is always "fixed".

--
"What happened ?"

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA, don%umd5@umd2.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
  UUCP: ..!{ seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!rlgvax }!cvl!umd5!don