[net.games.board] Cosmic Enounter

fox@daemen.uucp (Merlin) (03/20/86)

In article <167@sandia.UUCP>, marms@sandia.UUCP (Mike Arms) writes:
> Andy Hatcher asked for recommendations of great games to play. I MUST
> recommend the "classic" game of COSMIC ENCOUNTERS by Eon Products.

    I agree it is a fast fun game to play with more than two people

> ................. Each alien has a power that allows the player
> to bend (or break) the rules. And the interaction of players' powers
> is always fun to see.

    We also play with multiple powers to make things even worse.

> .......... Get this game and the first 3 expansions sets. You won't
> be dissappointed!

   This is true.  But now the publishers have brought out a new (not really
all THAT new) edition.  I think that it is the basic with with the first
3 or 5 expansion sets already in it.  It is $20 but it is worth it if
you want to do something crazy for a while.

               Merlin

daa@nott-cs.UUCP (03/25/86)

In article <217@daemen.uucp> fox@daemen.UUCP writes:
>In article <167@sandia.UUCP>, marms@sandia.UUCP (Mike Arms) writes:
>> Andy Hatcher asked for recommendations of great games to play. I MUST
>> recommend the "classic" game of COSMIC ENCOUNTERS by Eon Products.
>
>    We also play with multiple powers to make things even worse.

	All the above is very true. After playing for some years with a
fairly regular set of players, I've got a few hints...

1) Start with single powers. Add Flares (Expansion Set #4), Lucre (ES#6&7),
and Alternate Planet Hexes (ES#9!!) and multiple powers as you get more
confident; Moons (ES#5) when you need a laugh or you've got plenty of booze
on hand.

2) The only way to deal with rules conflicts (and there are *plenty* of
those!) is to stick *STRICTLY* to the sequence of play as given, and use
the disambiguating rules given also, e.g. offensive player gets first use
of power. Failing that, try reasoned (!!) discussion, and as a last resort,
the player who owns the set gets the casting (and/or only) vote. However,
its a good idea to make a note so they can't change their minds if it
happens again....

3) Warning: ES#6&7 contain new powers, but the Flares for these come in
ES#8 - together with a single flare for the (one) new power in ES#9!! ES#9
also contains a fully revised rulebook - *very* useful.

4) For real die-hards, there is (or was) a CE T-shirt...

	Our group now plays a semi-regular tournament for The Ashes (of one
player's deceased D&D character), complete with winner's name engraved on a
pewter tankard. This is played with all 9 Expansion Sets, multiple powers
and lots of alcohol - it can get * v e r y * weird.....
--
David Allsopp

PS - very minor gripe - its actually "Cosmic EncounTER" - singular.
--
David Allsopp