[net.sf-lovers] Star Trek Question

SELINGER@RU-BLUE.ARPA (02/20/84)

From:  Marla <SELINGER@RU-BLUE.ARPA>

In "Star Trek, the New Voyages" (Volume One or Two, I forget), was the
story "Visit to a Strange Planet Revisited".  In it, Shatner, Kelley
and Nimoy suddenly find themselves aboard the *real* Enterprise
(special FX and all) and must play their roles for real, while trying
to find a way back home.

I very much enjoyed it, but I am really interested in finding the
story that is was based on  - "Visit to a Strange Planet" (author
mentioned in the preface to "Revisited", I just don't have a copy
handy).  In this story, of course, Kirk, Spock and McCoy find
themselves at the TV show sound stage.  It appeared in some fanzine;
does anyone know where I could obtain a copy or a reprint of this
story?

Please reply to SELINGER@RU-BLUE as well as to SFL; I am not on the
mailing list.

Marla
-------

cm@unc.UUCP (Chuck Mosher) (10/02/85)

I couldn't mail to you either, Jeff.

>(paraphrased) which episode was it where Spock "wiped" Jim's memory
>of a true love affair.

Sorry Susan, but you're wrong.

It was "The Paradise Syndrome", and I think it was the cruelest
thing Spock could have done.  Aside from the fact that the
Enterprise's medical facilities would certainly have been
adequate to the task of saving Miramane (sp?) I for one believe
that such a central, personal, and growing experience for Kirk
was something he should not have been robbed of, even at the
expense of a protracted period of mourning.

I remember being devastated at the end of the episode (which
is why I remember it so well!) that Kirk was robbed of what
was probably the most wonderful time of his life.  Of course
if he hadn't, he probably would have realized that he was
actually running away from his own fear of commitment to
relationships in being the Captain of a star ship and would
have resigned his commission and sought another true love
instead of "new life and new civilizations"!  :-)

				Chuck Mosher
				cm@unc

friedman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/04/85)

>>(paraphrased) which episode was it where Spock "wiped" Jim's memory
>>of a true love affair.

>Sorry Susan, but you're wrong.

>It was "The Paradise Syndrome", and I think it was the cruelest
>thing Spock could have done.  ....

>I remember being devastated at the end of the episode (which
>is why I remember it so well!) that Kirk was robbed of what
>was probably the most wonderful time of his life.

>				Chuck Mosher
>				cm@unc

Sorry, Chuck, you don't remember this one as well as you think you do.
"Requiem for Methuselah" is the episode in which Spock made Kirk
"forget".  It's true that he lost his memory during "Paradise Syndrome",
but (1) that wasn't Spock's doing, and (2) he regained his memory at
the end of the episode.

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (10/06/85)

Sorry, Chuck.  The Paradise Syndrome ends with Kirk's Indian
wife saying "Each kiss is as the first," grunting once, then
dying.  Spock erases Kirk's memory of Rayna.

rjs

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (10/24/85)

From: Gern <GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA>

I have been trying to remember where in Star Trek, shows or movies,
Kirk said something to the effect: "We all have to take a chance,
especially if one is all we have".     It has been driving me nuts
trying to remember that line for some reason, and I don't have a
VCR or anything to search.   My first guess is "Tommorow Is Yesterday"???
Anyone have a confirmation?  Thanx.

Cheers,
Gern
-------

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/30/85)

In article <195@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA writes:
>I have been trying to remember where in Star Trek, shows or movies,
>Kirk said something to the effect: "We all have to take a chance,
>especially if one is all we have".     It has been driving me nuts
>trying to remember that line for some reason, and I don't have a
>VCR or anything to search.   My first guess is "Tommorow Is Yesterday"???
>Anyone have a confirmation?  Thanx.

Your guess is correct.
sb with vcr

JWHITE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (11/02/85)

From: JWHITE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Jim White)

From: Dave Godwin <godwin@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

>        I believe I remeber the phrase about 'taking chances' that
>you are refering to .  In the episode 'Tomorrow is Yesterday' ( I
>think ), the plot runs into three beachball shaped containers
>containing alien beings.  They've been in those things for hundreds
>of thousands of years, ever since their race blew themselves out in
>a big nasty war.
>        Their names are Sargon, Thelesa and a guy whose name I can't
>recall, so we'll call him Fred.  The aliens need to temporarily take
>over the bodies of, in order of above, Kirk, a scientist played by
>Diana Muldaur, and Spock.  The do this in order to build themselves
>android bodies they can move themselves into and live in.

Fred's name is Hanar, but I don't think that is the episode that Kirk makes
the 'We all have to take a chance, espiecially if one is all we ve got.'
quote. In fact that's not even Tomorrow is Yesterday. Tomorrow is
Yesterday is the one, written by Harlan Ellison, where McCoy accidentally
injects himself with a potent amphetamine, (stokaline?), and while
mad, jumps thru the Guardian of Eternity's time portal. I still don't
think that the right episode however. Kirk does tell the remaining crew,
that 'one by one you've all got to try it', (or something like that), but
I don't picture that 'chances' quote in that episode.

It will come to me eventually.

Jim White

CS.MCGRATH@R20.UTEXAS.EDU (11/02/85)

From: Tim.McGrath

>Gern <GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA> writes:
>I have been trying to remember where in Star Trek, shows or movies,
>Kirk said something to the effect: "We all have to take a chance,
>especially if one is all we have" ... My first guess is "Tommorow Is
>Yesterday"??? Anyone have a confirmation?...

  The quote is indeed from "Tomorrow is Yesterday." I checked it with an audio
tape I made of that episode at least a decade ago.

  The line occurs near the end of the episode as Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and (Air
Force) Captain Christopher are discussing strategy in the Enterprise conference
room. Kirk's exact line is

   "Well gentlemen, we all have to take a chance, especially if one is
   all you have."

-- Tim <CS.MCGRATH@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
-------

somner@lasspvax.UUCP (David Somner) (11/05/85)

Please move future discussions of Star Trek items to net.startrek!
Thanx!