[net.database] info on Oracle

bmg@mck-csc.UUCP (Bernard M. Gunther) (10/03/85)

Has anyone on the net had any experience with Oracle.  We are looking into
possibly purchasing a few copies (for a mini and pc/ats).  Any info would
be appreciated.  I will summerize for the net.

Bernie Gunther
mit-eddie!mck-csc!bmg

lar@inuxc.UUCP (L Reid) (10/11/85)

> Has anyone on the net had any experience with Oracle.  We are looking into
> possibly purchasing a few copies (for a mini and pc/ats).  Any info would
> be appreciated.  I will summerize for the net.
>
> Bernie Gunther
> mit-eddie!mck-csc!bmg

We have had Oracle running under UNIX on a VAX for about 1 1/2 years.
Its clear that the UNIX version of this dbms was a "kluge".  The
latest release was mainly a performance release which helped alot
but I have still don't much care for how many of its features operate.
It doesn't take advantage of what UNIX allows you to do.  If you
are running UNIX I would consider INGRES.  Also, we've had trouble
getting good support from ORACLE people (i.e. technical support).
The documentation for the UNIX version isn't that great.  So when
things don't work like we think, we call our support people.  They
don't know UNIX and usually have to call out to their support people
for answers or can't give us help at all.

I also don't care for the way their screen formatting facility
works.  The source file for the interactive screens is somewhat
burdensome and can be destroyed when compiling it.  Our people
have lost considerable amounts of work this way and its frustrating.
There is no way to execute these screen programs from a C-program
yet (Ingres has this).

Call if you have specific questions.  Sometimes that's better
than having someone ramble about their complaints.

Laura Reid
AT&T
317-845-6135

abbajay@oracle.UUCP (Dave Abbajay) (10/18/85)

In article <1166@inuxc.UUCP>, lar@inuxc.UUCP (L Reid) writes:
> > Has anyone on the net had any experience with Oracle.  We are looking into
> > possibly purchasing a few copies (for a mini and pc/ats).  Any info would
> > be appreciated.  I will summerize for the net.
> >
> > Bernie Gunther
> > mit-eddie!mck-csc!bmg
>

> We have had Oracle running under UNIX on a VAX for about 1 1/2 years.
> Its clear that the UNIX version of this dbms was a "kluge".  The
> latest release was mainly a performance release which helped alot
> but I have still don't much care for how many of its features operate.
> It doesn't take advantage of what UNIX allows you to do.  If you
> are running UNIX I would consider INGRES.  Also, we've had trouble
> getting good support from ORACLE people (i.e. technical support).
> The documentation for the UNIX version isn't that great.  So when
> things don't work like we think, we call our support people.  They
> don't know UNIX and usually have to call out to their support people
> for answers or can't give us help at all.
>
> I also don't care for the way their screen formatting facility
> works.  The source file for the interactive screens is somewhat
> burdensome and can be destroyed when compiling it.  Our people
> have lost considerable amounts of work this way and its frustrating.
> There is no way to execute these screen programs from a C-program
> yet (Ingres has this).
>
> Call if you have specific questions.  Sometimes that's better
> than having someone ramble about their complaints.
>
> Laura Reid
> AT&T
> 317-845-6135

Since I'm still new at net.games {and my base.line game ain't
much better :-) } I sent a detailed reply to Laura directly instead of
a follow-up, by accident. I also sent a note explaining my net.naivete asking
her to please post it. Soooo, if it doesn't show up, send those thousands
of nasty-grams to her.

Dave Abbajay
Sr. Technical Staff
ORACLE Corporation
(415)854-7350

ecec@ur-tut.UUCP (Eric Carleen) (10/22/85)

>> Call if you have specific questions.  Sometimes that's better
>> than having someone ramble about their complaints.
>>
>> Laura Reid
>> AT&T
>> 317-845-6135
>
>Since I'm still new at net.games {and my base.line game ain't
>much better :-) } I sent a detailed reply to Laura directly instead of
>a follow-up, by accident. I also sent a note explaining my net.naivete asking
>her to please post it. Soooo, if it doesn't show up, send those thousands
>of nasty-grams to her.
>
>Dave Abbajay
>Sr. Technical Staff
>ORACLE Corporation
>(415)854-7350

And you wonder why people have trouble with Oracle support...