[net.database] Knowledgeman/2 database product

danylkiw@hcrvx1.UUCP (Brian Danylkiw) (02/20/86)

	Has anyone had any experience with the Knowledgeman (tm) or
Knowledgeman/2 database product by MDBS (Micro Data Base Systems) ? It
is currently implemented on the IBM-PC under MS/PC DOS and under BSD 4.2
on the VAX. It appears to be a very professional product with capabilities
which make DB*SE-III and the like pale by comparison, especially in the
richness of its programming language. Any comments, summaries would be greatly
appreciated.

Brian Danylkiw

6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (02/27/86)

> 	Has anyone had any experience with the Knowledgeman (tm) or
> Knowledgeman/2 database product by MDBS (Micro Data Base Systems) ? It
> is currently implemented on the IBM-PC under MS/PC DOS and under BSD 4.2
> on the VAX. It appears to be a very professional product with capabilities
> which make DB*SE-III and the like pale by comparison, especially in the
> richness of its programming language. Any comments, summaries would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Brian Danylkiw
I have been using the K-Man 1.4 version for several years with great
success.  K-Man/II is a much enhanced version with full menu for
those users who really do not know what a data base is and do not
care, but "just gimme the answers".  K-Man is probably the only
*really relational* database manager program for the PC.  Most pro-
ducts such as DB/III do a good job of faking it.

In the past, this *professional* and powerful product has suffered
due to a small advertising budget, and we all KNOW that the so-
called reviewers never seem to give a review or even know about
products that currently are not advertising in their magazines.
[Before you flame, go back over the last 5 years of reviews and
note the strong correlation between reviews and size of advertise-
ments in the same issue].

The second problem was a manual that made the brash assumption that
the user was a professional that already understood the fundamentals
of data base operations.  The new K-Man/II has corrected this.

K-MAN was the first relational DBMS to *include* (not after-market)
text processing, spreadsheet (mediocre, maybe better now), real
graphics, color/graphics, mouse control, forms, input/output forms,
interactive forms control, a true Wirth-style language, C language
interface.

[For those who graduate from relational to "real databases", the
same company markets MDBS III.  This is a true brute of a product,
with FORTRAN, assembly, C, COBOL, Basic, etc. interfaces, true
network and data dictionary capability and full screen control.
           Not for the faint of heart                              ]

ac4@pucc-j (Tom Putnam) (02/28/86)

In article <564@whuts.UUCP> 6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
>I have been using the K-Man 1.4 version for several years with great
>success.  K-Man/II is a much enhanced version with full menu for
>those users who really do not know what a data base is and do not
>care, but "just gimme the answers".

I have K-Man 1.07 on a PC/AT.  We have also been trying both K-Man 1.07
and now K-Man 2 under 4.2 BSD UNIX.  These 4.2 versions have been Beta-test
versions, so they probably have some problems that won't appear in the
final delivered products.  Now for some observations.

First, I agree that K-Man is a powerful relational DMBS.  It is also
a fairly large package.  You really don't want to use it if all you
have is a floppy disk based system -- that's where Dbase and friends
can probably claim a better niche.  K-Man is designed for bigger problems.

The big thing we have noticed with our UNIX versions is that they don't
do screen management very well for people using ASCII terminals.  We
have a lot of terminals that are still running at 2400 bps (due to the
large number of terminals and the limitations in our front-end switch).
Watching K-Man repaint the screen over and over on a 2400 bps terminal
is really painful.  You probably wouldn't care as much at 9600 bps.

BUT WAIT!  Help is on they way!  That's why they have Beta test sites.
In version 1.07, they used their own screen manipulation package.  They
did not use termcap ... they had their own configuration files.  That
was a real problem for us with nearly 1000 terminals with dozens of
different brands.  We told them so.

K-Man 2 has changed to termcap, but they still aren't very intelligent
about repainting areas of the screen that haven't changed.  You don't
notice this when you have it on a PC because you can paint the PC's
screen so quickly.  Anyway, I am told they are working on a new version
that will use something like curses, so that should help a bunch.

While we are on the subject of K-Man 2 and its menus, I would have to
say that using the menus is REALLY SLOW on an ASCII terminal.  You
just have too many levels and choices.  For example, it takes two or
three different menu selections just to get the thing to generate the
BYE command so you can exit.  I haven't seen K-Man 2 on a PC, but I'm
sure it must be faster.  Personally, I'm not so sure I would even use it
there because of all the multiple levels and choices you have to make
to do even the most simple things.

Back to 6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL):
>The second problem was a manual that made the brash assumption that
>the user was a professional that already understood the fundamentals
>of data base operations.  The new K-Man/II has corrected this.

Well, sorry to disappoint you.  They say they have a new manual, and
indeed they do.  Sorry to say the only thing new about it is its form, not
its content.  It is now typeset and fits into one of those nice boxes that
fit on your shelf.  It still lacks anything that looks like a tutorial ...
yet it is organized like a cross between a tutorial and a reference
manual.  But unlike a real reference manual, they put it in order by what
you are doing (e.g.  Defining and Using a Table, Table Sorting and
Indexing, Data Retrieval and Statistics) and then within each chapter the
order of commands is the order in which you might choose to use them (?).
I thought most technical writers learned many years ago that reference
manuals should be ordered alphabetically (by command).  To make it worse,
each command description is in order by novice, intermediate, and advanced
topics, so when you go try to use it as a reference manual, you aren't
sure whether you are looking up a novice or advanced topic so you have
to search 3 sections of text.  The manual is still just plain abysmal!

>K-MAN was the first relational DBMS to *include* (not after-market)
>text processing, spreadsheet (mediocre, maybe better now), real
>graphics, color/graphics, mouse control, forms, input/output forms,
>interactive forms control, a true Wirth-style language, C language
>interface.

Yes, they do have these packages ... for the PC environment.  But
do notice that each of them comes as a separate add-on that you
must purchase.  Even at discounted prices, you can easily end up
spending close to $1,000 for the whole package.  And the spreadsheet is
still one of the worst examples of how do to a spreadsheet that I
have ever seen.  Don't buy it for that "feature" (which is part of
the base package).

I'm afraid this winds up sounding negative.  It probably just shows
my frustration in dealing with a very nice DBMS that comes so close
to being just what you want and then has silly little things like a
dumb screen interface on UNIX and a poorly organized manual stand
in the way of excellence.
--
Tom Putnam, Manager of User Services
Purdue University Computing Center

ARPANET: ac4@asc.Purdue.EDU
     or  ac4@purdue-asc.ARPA
BITNET:  PUTNAMT@PURCCVM
CSNET:   ac4@purdue-asc-tn
USENET:  ac4@pucc-j.UUCP
USMAIL:  Mathematical Sciences Bldg.
	 West Lafayette, IN 47907
PHONE:	 317/494-1787

ark@ut-sally.UUCP (Arthur M. Keller) (03/01/86)

In article <564@whuts.UUCP> 6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
>[For those who graduate from relational to "real databases", ...

Please explain what you mean by this, before I light my flametorch.
Arpanet: ARK@SALLY.UTEXAS.EDU
UUCP:    {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!ark

6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (03/04/86)

> In article <564@whuts.UUCP> 6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
> >[For those who graduate from relational to "real databases", ...
>
> Please explain what you mean by this, before I light my flametorch.
> --
> UUCP:    {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!ark
actually the answer is quite simple:
in my occasional delving into the application of
data base managers to real world problems, I find
approximately 70% of the problems to be not "list"
or "flat-file" oriented. These applications are
in reality the need to intelligently and efficiently
map "one-to-many", "many-to-one", and "many-to-many"
situations, and linkages.  I am then faced with the
prospect of using a very powerful embedded language
within a better relational dbms (K-Man 1.07/2 is the
best example) to do *alot* of custom programming
to force the linkages within the relational context
or move up-scale to a "brute" "networking" dbms such
as MDBS III.

To provide one example,  networking dbms's such as
MDBS III will readily provide for the realities of
genealogical research such as sibling relationships,
marriage, multiple/serial marriages, polygamy, etc.
without custom programing to sift through the data
to "find" and "catagorize" same.  (Incidentally,
geneologies rarely match the ideal of the "family
tree" forms sold by stationary stores.  Thus, Heir-
archal dbms's are rarely useful.)

I am ill equiped to discuss the theoretical bases of
data bases.  Please get to a good technical (not computer
hacker) library for a better explanation than I have
provided.

ark@ut-sally.UUCP (Arthur M. Keller) (03/06/86)

Sterkel replied to my question asking what he meant by graduating from
relational databases to real databases.  Relational databases can
store the necessary information to handle one-one, one-many, and
many-many relationships.  I wonder why you say "networking" databases
as opposed to network databases.  Network databases may explicitly
support such connects but require the user to explicitly navigate
through the database in a procedural manner.  The relational database
approach allows for non-procedural navigation of substantially the
same record types (but calls them "relations" instead.

It is a valid criticism that current relational database systems are
not as efficient as some non-relational DBMSs.  It is a valid
criticism that "classical" relational DBMSs have less "semantics"
than, say, network databases.  But in network databases, all
retrievals involve writing programs, while this need not be the case
in a relational DBMS.  Ad hoc queries are often allowed in relational
DBMSs, but rarely allowed in network or hierarchical DBMSs.  In time,
commercial relational DBMSs will become more efficient, in parallel
with research technology advancing beyond.

Arthur
Arpanet: ARK@SALLY.UTEXAS.EDU
UUCP:    {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!ark

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (03/06/86)

Re network, hierarchical vs relational ( == MDBS III vs K-Man 2 ???? )

 -- my suspicion is that Mr. Sterkel expects us to find Mr. Codd's and Mr.
    Date's works in the "Computer Hacker's Library".
  - and 1960's James Martin in the "Technical Library"

  :-)  :-)  :-)                     g. pavlov.

burd@unmc.UUCP (burd) (03/08/86)

In article <> ark@sally.UUCP (Arthur M. Keller) writes:
>Network databases may explicitly
>support such connects but require the user to explicitly navigate
>through the database in a procedural manner.  The relational database
>approach allows for non-procedural navigation of substantially the
>same record types (but calls them "relations" instead.
>
>But in network databases, all
>retrievals involve writing programs, while this need not be the case
>in a relational DBMS.  Ad hoc queries are often allowed in relational
>DBMSs, but rarely allowed in network or hierarchical DBMSs.  In time,
>commercial relational DBMSs will become more efficient, in parallel
>with research technology advancing beyond.

The contention that all retrievals in a network database involve
writing programs is simply not true.  A good example being the QRS
subsystem of the MDBS III network DBMS.  This system will allow
you to generate output reports by specifying data items to be
retrieved, conditions to be met (e.g., all records from New Mexico),
and the sets to be traversed (in the proper order).  This type of
non-procedural query facility is available on many other network DBMSs
as well.

I've heard arguments to the effect that such a query system is difficult
to use as the user must know actual record/field names and specify
the proper search path.  This is true, but is not much more difficult
than specifying similar queries in Kman (where actual table/field
names must be used and proper selection of a search path via redundant
data fields is tricky).  I've used both systems (and Dbase III)
extensively for teaching and personal use and I've found little advantage
of relational query languages over network query languages.

FROM:    Stephen D. Burd
USNAIL:  Anderson Schools of Management
         University of New Mexico
         Albuquerque, NM  87131

AT&T:    (505)-277-6418

UUCP:    {lanl,ucbvax!unmvax,gatech!unmvax,...}!unmc!burd

6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (03/09/86)

> Re network, hierarchical vs relational ( == MDBS III vs K-Man 2 ???? )
>
>  -- my suspicion is that Mr. Sterkel expects us to find Mr. Codd's and Mr.
>     Date's works in the "Computer Hacker's Library".
>   - and 1960's James Martin in the "Technical Library"
>
>   :-)  :-)  :-)                     g. pavlov.

opinions about spreadsheets, databases, languages, etc. frequently
take on the trappings of religion.  as my short and inadequate
explanation about relational vs. network database managers exposed
even I (occasionally :-) fall victim to religiosity.  At least this
net qroup is not victimized like net.religion, and the responses to
my faux pas of overstating my case have been gentle.