[net.sf-lovers] mono sex societies

A.Cobley%dundee.ac.uk@ucl-cs.ARPA (10/25/85)

From: COBLEY A (on DUNDEE DEC-10) <A.Cobley%dundee.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa>

--------

	Question
		For any biologist out there, whats the fesability of
taking genes from two females and combining them together, replanting
them in a ovum and so get birth from the result.  I realise that only
female children could be born this way ( YY chromsone?) and this leads
me to the main thrust of the question.
	What would a society be like if all repoduction (or most ) was
done this way since the society would consist entirley of females.What
would be the role of males (if any existed),would they be kept as pets?
revired?, or treated as equals (they would certainly have 'abnormal'
sexual disires as far as the rest of society was concerned, unless you
use two male genes and find a kindly womb donor.)
	Any one know of any stories based on this?
	Any ideas on the fesability, society, role of men.

		ttfn
		andy.
A.COBLEY%DUNDEE@UCL.CS

--------

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (10/27/85)

In article <215@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> A.Cobley%dundee.ac.uk@ucl-cs.ARPA writes:
>	Question
>		For any biologist out there, whats the fesability of
>taking genes from two females and combining them together, replanting
>them in a ovum and so get birth from the result.  I realise that only
>female children could be born this way ( YY chromsone?) and this leads
>me to the main thrust of the question.

Before the main thrust, let me get in a slight parry.  It's not necessary to
have genes from two females to combine together; all you need is a way to
stimulate the egg to divide.  That way, you can get variety by using the eggs
from many and various women.

>	What would a society be like if all repoduction (or most ) was
>done this way since the society would consist entirley of females.What
>would be the role of males (if any existed),would they be kept as pets?
>revired?, or treated as equals (they would certainly have 'abnormal'
>sexual disires as far as the rest of society was concerned, unless you
>use two male genes and find a kindly womb donor.)
>	Any one know of any stories based on this?
>		andy.
>A.COBLEY%DUNDEE@UCL.CS

Something similar to this existed in E. E. Smith's books, in the culture of
Lyrane II.  It wasn't purely women in the sense that you state; instead,
"males" (not men) are described as "dwarfs about 30 inches tall" and they
are "not regarded as people, at birth or at any subsequent time."  (The
frequency of male birth is about 1 in 100.)  They are nearly unintelligent,
since all they are needed for is "the fundamental necessity of reproducing
the completely dominant female."

Women are referred to as "persons" (since males are not persons and do not
exist in society).  They use males simply as adjuncts to breeding, after
which the male is disposed of.  The concept of "female" does not exist to
the women, since they do not consider themselves the opposites of males;
indeed, they barely acknowledge their existence.

I have no way of being certain, but I think this might have been a clever
stab at the pulp-fiction stories involving one lone spaceman on a planet
of women.  All that the "persons" of Lyrane II feel for the ultra-macho Kim
Kinnison is revulsion!

G. T. Samson
The Evil MicroWizard
gts@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU

chabot@miles.DEC (10/29/85)

>	What would a society be like if all repoduction (or most ) was
> done this way since the society would consist entirley of females.What
> would be the role of males (if any existed),would they be kept as pets?
> revired?, or treated as equals (they would certainly have 'abnormal'
> sexual disires as far as the rest of society was concerned, unless you
> use two male genes and find a kindly womb donor.)
> 	Any one know of any stories based on this?
> 	Any ideas on the fesability, society, role of men.
>
> 		ttfn
> 		andy.
> A.COBLEY%DUNDEE@UCL.CS

This isn't too new an idea, and yes, there are stories about it.  Check out
The Female Man by Joanna Russ.  Also, "Houston, Houston, ..." (erp, here I am
again, typing without my library with toe's reach) by James Tiptree, Jr who
we know is really Dr. A. Sheldon, although this one may not give you a good
idea about what the society is like.

norman@lasspvax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) (10/30/85)

THe only story I know of which deals intelligibly with a society based on
fusion of ova is "When it Changed" by joanna Russ. A wonderful story it is,
too.

(SPOILER WARNING)

James Tiptree's "Houston, Houston, do you Read" postulates a single-sex
society based on cloning. Very interestingly worked out; the people in the
society are all busily exploring the possibilities of their genome. For
example, "Lucy's" talk a lot (I think it's Lucys). Personally I think such a
society is stuck in a genetic dead end, but the ideas are fascinating and
the stoy itself is very good.

--
Norman Ramsey

ARPA: norman@lasspvax  -- or --  norman%lasspvax@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,...}!cornell!lasspvax!norman
BITNET: (in desperation only) ZSYJ at CORNELLA
US Mail: Dept Physics, Clark Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853
Telephone: (607)-256-3944 (work)    (607)-272-7750 (home)

mff@wuphys.UUCP (Swamp Thing) (10/30/85)

In article <215@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> A.Cobley%dundee.ac.uk@ucl-cs.ARPA writes:
>		For any biologist out there, whats the fesability of
>taking genes from two females and combining them together, replanting
>them in a ovum and so get birth from the result.
>
>	Any one know of any stories based on this?

I know I have read a short story like this.  Some colony got hit by a plague
which killed all of the men.  The women figured out a way to fertilize each
other.  A long time later, a "rescue team" shows up, consisting of some men.
They knew that there were only women left, and expected to be jumped all over
by the women.  The showed up making snide remarks about how the women must be
really lonley, etc.  But the women had no idea what they were talking about.

Unfortunately, I don't remenber who wrote it or what the title was, but it
might have been in one of the Dangerous Visions books.

						Mark F. Flynn
						Department of Physics
						Washington University
						St. Louis, MO  63130
						ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
 Matter of fact, it's all dark."

				P. Floyd

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (10/31/85)

In article <215@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> A.Cobley%dundee.ac.uk@ucl-cs.ARPA writes:
>		For any biologist out there, whats the fesability of
>taking genes from two females and combining them together, replanting
>them in a ovum and so get birth from the result.
>
>	Any one know of any stories based on this?

Not exactly, but...

One of the secretaries here was talking about a book she read called MR. ADAM.
It was apparently written in the late 40's and concerned a nuclear accident
which left the male population of the earth sterile, except for one man.
As she explained it, the book concerned the government's efforts at
repopulation via this one man.

BTW, she said the book was hilarious. (Anyone with a pointer to finding a
copy?)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	"...I don't imagine being a supernatural being is much fun since
	 people probably would be more reluctant to invite me to parties."
						- Gene Spafford

mcdaniel@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/31/85)

On a related theme, there's "The Crime and the Glory of Commander Sudzul",
by the late Cordwainer Smith (actually the late Paul Linebarger, I think).

*** SPOILER ***

On a new colony, femininity becomes carcinogenic (say THAT three times
fast!), and some fancy genetic engineering has to be done.  Unfortunately,
it seems to me to be rather homophobic: more would spoil too much.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (11/01/85)

>      What would a society be like if all repoduction (or most ) was
> done this way since the society would consist entirley of females.What
> would be the role of males (if any existed),would they be kept as pets?
> revired?, or treated as equals (they would certainly have 'abnormal'
> sexual disires as far as the rest of society was concerned, unless you
> use two male genes and find a kindly womb donor.)
>      Any one know of any stories based on this?

I can think of one such story in which the society was  all  male  with  no
females at all.  The story is "The Crime and the Glory of Commander Suzdal"
by Cordwainer Smith (aka Dr.  Paul Linebarger) and appears in at least  two
collections of his work.

Reversing the theme is Ursula Leguin's _The Left Hand of Darkness_, about a
society where everyone is a fully functional hermaphrodite.  Also with that
theme is _Venus Plus X_ by Theodore Sturgeon(?).

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

ayers@convexs.UUCP (11/01/85)

>	Question
>		For any biologist out there, whats the fesability of
>taking genes from two females and combining them together, replanting
>them in a ovum and so get birth from the result.  I realise that only
>female children could be born this way ( YY chromsone?) and this leads
>me to the main thrust of the question.

You might look up some of the research being done on nature's version of this:
parthenogenesis.

<it works with mammals, too>

blues, II

jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross) (11/07/85)

> From: COBLEY A (on DUNDEE DEC-10) <A.Cobley%dundee.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa>
> 	Question
> 		For any biologist out there, whats the fesability of
> taking genes from two females and combining them together, replanting
> them in a ovum and so get birth from the result.  I realise that only
> female children could be born this way ( YY chromsone?) and this leads
> me to the main thrust of the question.
> 	What would a society be like if all repoduction (or most ) was
> done this way since the society would consist entirley of females.What
> would be the role of males (if any existed),would they be kept as pets?
> revired?, or treated as equals (they would certainly have 'abnormal'
> sexual disires as far as the rest of society was concerned, unless you
> use two male genes and find a kindly womb donor.)
> 	Any one know of any stories based on this?
> 	Any ideas on the fesability, society, role of men.
>
> 		ttfn
> 		andy.
> A.COBLEY%DUNDEE@UCL.CS
> --------

I am glad this subject was brought up.  I had no idea so much had
been written on this subject, so I am making a list of books to
read.  I was wondering if there are any stories of this type
taking place on earth.

For example, a country or area on earth decided to use advance
technology to reproduce.  I have often thought of story line along
this topic.  The closer I bring the time period to the present
the more trouble the caraters get into.  Since I'm no writer,
I would like to read someone elses work.

Joland