[mod.music] mod.music

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (08/14/85)

From: Steven Bird <munnari!mulga.oz!sgb>

I am looking for data and/or references relating to the
spectrum or amplitude/frequency graph for the classical guitar.
[The spectrum shows the amplitude of each harmonic
(or overtone) in a note played on the instrument.]
The spectrum for a given note depends not only on
the quality and construction of the instrument, but
on how and where the strings are plucked.  Most
research effort seems to be oriented towards the
violin, the piano and some brass instruments, and
there is little relating to the guitar.

If anyone has some relevant data, or can suggest some
references, I would appreciate hearing from you via mail.

Steven Bird.

{seismo,ukc}!munnari!sgb
decvax!mulga!sgb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@mit-eddie.mit.edu

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (02/15/86)

mod.music				    Saturday, February 15, 1986, 11:08

Today's Topics:

			Kate question and Reggae
	 residents identity partially revealed (for mod.music)

--------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 86 09:56:15 MST
From: nusbaum@utah-cs.arpa (James Nusbaum)
Subject: Kate question and Reggae

I am a big fan of Kate Bush's music but know very little about her
personally.  Could someone out there give a summary of some
personal data like age, birthplace, marital status, education,
current residence, etc.?   Also does anybody have a video tape
of Kate's Saturday Night Live performance from many years ago?

It is my understanding that 'Fine Young Cannibals' consists of most
of the former members of the Beat except for Dave Wakeling and Ranking
Roger.

If any one out there is interested, I am a huge reggae and ska fan and
would be glad to discuss any reggae topics or answer questions.

February 6 - Bob Marley's birthday

Jim Nusbaum
University of Utah CS Dept.
Salt Lake City, UT

--------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Feb 86 21:24:19 est
From: allegra!ames!jaw
Subject: residents identity partially revealed (for mod.music)

     the blurb below is a re-post from usenet, june 1984.
i never did put this on the (now defunct?) ralph records bbs.
the band does play around town, and the current lead singer's face
indeed looks like the foreground character on the recent
"big bubble" disk.

     there is nothing particular to indicate that the stage band
is all original personnel anymore -- except for snakefinger's visible
presence, it's pretty easy to contract out the "musick", as they put it.

     from the sound of it, renaldo & the loaf are residents also.
but then, we all are.

--jaw

-----
#  There's something I must tell you,
   There's something I must say;
   The only really perfect love
   Is one that gets away.     -- The Residents, from "The Commercial Album"

     My abstract expressionist uncle Michael Kennedy used to
work in the S.F. post office in the sixties with two of these chaps
from Louisiana.  One of 'em is John Kennedy (no relation), and
they were fringe artists even then, into Sun Ra mostly.

     Mike remembers that the guy wore Hawaiian shirts and liked to
paint his shoes blue.  Everyone was being psychedelicized in the Haight,
but the embryonic Residents traced a slightly different "curve".
They eventually moved on to do some part-time bedpan work at U.C.S.F. hospital.
The rest is history.

     The John Kennedy name is backed up by an old (2 year) S. F. Chronicle
Sunday supplement Residents puff piece, which runs down a roster of Ralph
Records "employees" (I neglected to save the list.)  Anyway, now that the
Residents cultish anonymity is fraying at the edges, why doesn't someone
post this on the Ralph BBS for reaction?

     I suspect that Jay Clem, who did some radio interviews with
KPFA's Charles Amirkhanian (sp?), is also a Resident.  Hmmm ... have
to walk down to Ralph to find the real info.

	-- James Alien  (ames!jaw)

--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, gatech, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@eddie.mit.edu

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (02/25/86)

mod.music			    Tuesday, February 25, 1986, 00:33

Today's Topics:

				Gehenna
		   Re: Kate Questions (for mod.music)

[][][][][][][][][][]

From: ambar@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 86 07:50:42 EST
Subject: Gehenna

This is a word in the New Testament used for 'hell'.  There was a valley
of Gehenna nearby to Jerusalem (if I remember correctly) which was
basically a garbage dump, with fires smoldering all the time, and
unpleasant smells.  This is where it came from.

			Jean

[][][][][][][][][][]

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 86 13:21:52 est
From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Subject: Re: Kate Questions (for mod.music)

> From: nusbaum@utah-cs.arpa (James Nusbaum)

> I am a big fan of Kate Bush's music but know very little about her
> personally.  Could someone out there give a summary of some personal
> data like age, birthplace, marital status, education, current
> residence, etc.?

Age: 27.  Birthplace: Bexley Heath Maternity Hospital, England.
Birthdate: 30 July 1958.  Marital Status: single, but living with Del
Palmer for 7 (?) years.  Education:  Left St Joseph's Convent Grammer
School at age 16 with 10 O Levels.  Current Residence: A house in Kent,
England.  Sex: Female.

> Also does anybody have a video tape of Kate's Saturday Night Live
> performance from many years ago?

Yeah.  Unfortunately, I only have one VCR and can't copy it.  Maybe
someone with two VCRs has it?

			-Doug

--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, gatech, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@eddie.mit.edu

gds@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Greg Skinner) (03/03/86)

mod.music					Monday, March 3, 1986, 06:05

Today's Topics:

			Re: mod.music (2 msgs)

--------------------

From: allegra!princeton!astrovax!fisher!tim
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 86 15:57:28 est
Subject: Re: mod.music

Greg:

Is there some deadline on the usenet material?  As you mentioned, time
is monster-limited for many of us, and I have ideas and such at this point,
but no hard copy (have new toys, too!).

				     Tim Snyder
				     princeton!fisher!tim

[I'm not sure if this was addressed to me, or Greg Earle, but in case
it was to me, no, there's no deadline.  --gregbo]

--------------------

From: allegra!princeton!astrovax!fisher!tim
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 86 15:57:49 est

> ...Daryl Hall...
> on _Exposure_ (You Burn Me Up I'm a Cigarette, North Star, Chicago <--(does
> he sing this one?)) are first rate.  His solo album _Sacred Songs_, produced
> by and featuring Fripp, also has great stuff on it, like "The Farther Away
> I Am", "Why Was It So Easy", "Babs and Babs" and "NYCNY" (the transition from
>
> Dan

The vocalist on Chicago is Peter Hammill, who sings a couple of
tracks on "Exposure."  One may also mention that Peter Gabriel does
"Here Comes the Flood," accompanied only by piano, complete with
a bum note, on Exposure.  He was thankful at the time that
Fripp, who would later produce "Peter Gabriel" (II), gave him the
opportunity to (re-)do this as it was "intended."  Apparently Gabriel
and Fripp felt that producer Bob Ezrin ("Peter Gabriel" (I), also of
Alice Cooper fame) had syruped the thing beyond comprehension.

On Daryl Hall, let me second your support for "Sacred Songs."
This album had been "canned" by Hall's record company following
its finish as too radical (though it is definitely not) for
he of Hall and Oates fame.  Following a long media campaign by
Hall and Fripp and others, it was finally released (interestingly,
this was also after Hall and Oates had suffered a substantial
decline).  Fripp later bemoaned the delay, claiming that it had
cost Hall the chance of joining the Bowie's, Fripp's, and others
as leaders in avant-pop.

Two notes concerning the album:
Babs and Babs is about the two sides of the brain ("she say nothing"
refers to the right, etc.), and is correspondingly provocative.
"Something in 4/4 Time," the only thing on the album which sounds
like "hit" material, lambasts the record companies ("You gotta have
something in 4/4 time, You gotta have something that always rhymes"
[and they wondered why it didn't get released!]) in an ironic fashion.
What is most intriguing, however, is that the song is in MONO until
the Frippertronics come zooming in mid-way through, in blatant stereo.
Don the headphones; it's worth checking out!

Hopefully this will give netters who haven't heard this remarkable
album some notion of its surprising quality as top flight art.

				    "New York, love me,
				     NYC I see,
				     New York, love me,
				     Am I NY?"
					Tim Snyder

--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, gatech, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@eddie.mit.edu

gds@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Greg Skinner) (03/21/86)

mod.music					Friday, March 21, 1986, 06:34

Today's Topics:

                               HoL on Miami Vice ?

From: genrad!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!smith
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 86 10:59:27 est
Subject: HoL on Miami Vice ?

Has Kate made it to Miami Vice ?

One of the songs played on tonight's episode sounded very much
like part of "Hello Earth". Did anyone else notice this, can anyone
confirm it ?