[mod.music] mod.music digest

gds@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Greg Skinner) (05/14/86)

mod.music digest			Wednesday, May 14, 1986, 06:00 EDT

Today's Topics:

			       Brian Eno
			     More anagrams
		    Scott Johnson's "John Somebody"
			    electronic music

--------------------

Date: Thu, 1 May 86 16:00:00 edt
From: John Kitamura <ihnp4!utcsri!kato>
Subject: Brian Eno

Brian Eno update:
	The CD version of MORE BLANK THAN FRANK has at least one ambient
track on it ("1/1", from Music For Airports). I don't recall if it differs
otherwise from the vinyl release.
	Also, in "King's Lead Hat" on the BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE album,
the words "King's hat" become very distorted in the last verse
("the KING'S HAT sits over their ears") along with the music. Generally I find
the whole track to be slightly distorted. Is this just my copy? Does the same
thing happen on the new record/CD?
	Also I noticed a video and CD release by Eno (I can't remember the name
but I think it's something like "Thursday Afternoon") with little or no
information regarding what appears on either product. Does anyone have
these items?

	Many thanks,
		John Kitamura
UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!kato

--------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 86 17:38:51 pdt
From: Niels Mayer <mayer@su-cascade.ARPA>
Subject: More anagrams

Yeah, we all know that "King's Lead Hat" is an anagram for talking heads,
howzabout the following less-well known anagrams:

King Crimson's "Thela Hun Ginjeet"'s anagram is "Heat in the jungle", which
is one of the lyrics from that song. This is a dangerous place......

An anagram for the Grateful Dead is "A drug led fate". How appropriate.

			Niels Mayer
			Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
			uucp: {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!glacier!mayer
			arpa: mayer@su-amadeus.arpa

--------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 86 17:54:39 pdt
From: Niels Mayer <mayer@su-cascade.ARPA>
Subject: Scott Johnson's "John Somebody"

While at my sister's house in LA last week, after getting bored of doing
free-form compositions on her digital sampling keyboard and drum machine, I
decided to record an album by Scott Johnson called "John Somebody".

Mr. Johnson plays guitar in accompanyment to digital-delay loops of voices
and utterances. He seems to be able to almost emulate the harmonics of the
voice-loops with his guitar. The voice-loops form a very interesting melodic
and rhythmic background to the guitar soloing, of which there is a lot.
One of the pieces has sampled laughter that is pitch transposed into a melody
for the song, and is accompanied by guitar and woodwind instruments to
create a nice lilting melody that makes you smile no matter how foul a mood
you're in.

Anybody else heard of Scott Johnson? Can you provide more info on his
techniques?

Date: Tue, 6 May 86 19:18:14 PDT
From: ln63snm%sdcc7@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (ALBANO LOPES)
Subject: electronic music

now on KCR  cable FM (96.1 southwestern 99 cox )  in San Diego
an electronic music  show
it's called "electronic oscillations" and it airs every sunday
night at 8:00 PM    Hear music from  Jarre, Tangerine Dream,
Schulze, Kitaro, Mark Shreeve, Ashra, Tri Atma, Vangelis and more...
for more info call
(619) 453-7495 or (619) 265-6982

		tune in and hear music from the 21st century
		this sunday and every sunday......

--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, gatech, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@eddie.mit.edu