[mod.music] Columbia Record & Tape Club

becole@watnot.UUCP.UUCP (02/07/87)

I am considering joining the Columbia R&T Club and am looking for info from
people who are currently members, or those who have been members in the past.
Is it an honest organization or not ??   Should I join ??

Mail me your experiences / opinions and I will summarize to this net.

Thanks,

--
Brian Cole
University of Waterloo

rcgood@watnot.UUCP.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <12423@watnot.UUCP> becole@watnot.UUCP (Brian Cole
(Briankins !!)) writes:

> I am considering joining the Columbia R&T Club and am looking for
> info from people who are currently members, or those who have been
> members in the past.  Is it an honest organization or not ??  Should
> I join ??

I joined about two years ago, and haven't had many problems.

When you join you get 10(?) tapes for 1 cent (plus postage,handling).
What you agree to is to buy another 8(?) tapes at regular club prices
in the two years. Regular club prices are $10.98 ea. ('prices subjuct
to change').  So you get 18 tapes for $87.85 or $4.88 per tape ('plus
p&h').  After that you can quit you membership.

Of course they don't want you to take you 10 tapes for 1 cent, and not buy
any more. So they get a little annoyed if you do that.

Also, about every four weeks you get your selection card, catalogue,
and assorted junk mail.  One of the things that you agree to when you
join is to let them automatically send you the 'selection of the
month' (a different tape depending on what type of music you told them
you wanted) without you saying you want it. If you don't want any
tapes, you have to put an 'X' in a box on the selection card, and send
it back in. If you don't do this, they send you a tape that you may
not want, but you've already agreed to buy so you have to pay for.

Also, when you've fulfilled your agreement (i.e. bought the 8 tapes)
every tape you buy 'earns you bonus certificates'. They work like
this:

    		1 B.C. + $2.25 + p&h := 1 tape

			     or

		2 B.C. +         p&h := 1 tape

(I worked it out and it's cheaper to go for the '1 B.C. + $2.25' deal)

Aside from that all I can add is that you should get some info and
decide for youself.

Disclaimer: I in no way represent Columbia House Records & Tapes and
as such any inaccuracies must by typos!

  rcgood@watnot.UUCP
  Rob Good                                        If someone finds
  University of Waterloo                          my  path, please
  Waterloo, Ontario                               send  it  to me.

  'So long, and thanks for all the fish.'