[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #421

QUINT@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (11/08/85)

From: Anne Marie Quint {/amqueue} <quint@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>

    Date: Sun, 27 Oct 85 14:45:02 pst
    From: stever%cit-vlsi@cit-vax.ARPA (Steve Rabin  )
    Subject: Godstalk

    A while ago I bought a book called "Godstalk" by P.C. Hodgell.  I was
    able to finish it, but felt like I had been ripped off.  A crazed
    plot without "sequel warnings" combined with insufferably cute
    talking cats.  Godstalk is a poor womans version of Norton's "Breed
    to Come".  Not recommended.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  I *never* in the 5 times that I have read the
book found "cute talking cats". Nor did I think it was crying for a sequel.
There are 2 noteworthy catlike beings in the book: one (1) half-grown
cat the Jame saved from being drowned as a kitten, that has a one way
telepathic link through her... it is blind and can see through her eyes;
one (1) implied, half seen being, called an Arrin-Ken by Jame and her
people - these are supposed to be the judges of her people, but they
withdrew from the general society when they thought the main body was doing
something rather ridiculous. The Arrin-Ken are supposed to be catlike,
telepathic, dangerous, and virtually immortal.

As for a sequel, the book told (I thought rather well) the story of one
part of Jame's life... a part that ended, and so the book ended. *I* wanted
to see a sequel, but that is because I was interested in the Kencyrath and
intrigued by the city. Yes, the potential for a sequel is left open, but
you could write sequels for almost any book where the main characters
arent all killed off! And there are many stories told (among great
literature no less! :-) that start in the middle and end in the middle (a
short time later) in a person's life.

As for it being a rewrite of "Breed to Come", I can't say, cause I have
never read that particular book of Norton's.

I recommend the book highly. I had gone through a spate of reading where I
found nothing to hold my interest... I forgot stuff as soon as I closed the
book. "Godstalk" grabbed my interest and held it for the entirety of the
book... I felt like I was surfacing from a different place when I finished
it. I find it original and exciting.

arrrggh!
/amqueue

now to go look for the sequel!