[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #416

QUINT@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (11/08/85)

From: Anne Marie Quint {/amqueue} <quint@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>

    Date: Thu, 24 Oct 85 12:25 PDT
    From: Wahl.ES@Xerox.ARPA
    Subject: Price of the Phoenix

    amqueue: Please, No!  If I were Jacqueline Lichtenberg or Joan
    Winston, I would sue!  You're probably thinking about Star Trek
    Lives! a non-fiction book about the ST phenomenon.  Jacqueline is
    best noted in ST fiction for her Kraith fanzine series.  Joan also
    wrote The Making of ST Conventions.

Hmmm, anyone who would sue over a mistake of memory (which I freely
admitted could be faulty, and have apologized to the net for at least
twice by now) should calm down. Especially since I was praising the stories.

Ah, so that is where I remember her name from!

    The Phoenix books (Price of and Fate of) were written by Sondra
    Marshak and Myrna Culbreath.  They also wrote The Prometheus Design,
    and perhaps a few another ST novel or two.  Fandom is remarkably
    divided on the subject of whether these books are great literature
    or trash, but my vote is strongly for the latter.

for all the books, or The Prometheus Design and the others, or what? Most
of the people I have talked to *liked* the Phoenix books...

                                                      They also edited
    two pro books of ST short stories, New Voyages I and II, which
    caused a lot of flack from the authors whose stories were edited.

    Lisa Wahl
    Star Trek Welcommittee

    Date: Thu, 24 Oct 85 14:08 PDT
    From: "Lubkin David"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
    Subject: Re:  Price of the Phoenix
                        .
			.
			.

    Apart from the literary merits of Price of the Phoenix, Marshak and
    Culbreath were not highly thought of in trek circles, although they
    may have redeemed themselves by now.  They edited two collections of
    fan fiction, Star Trek: The New Voyages, I and II.  I do not know
    the truth of the matter, but at least three of the authors of
    stories they printed report that (1) their stories were altered for
    publication, without their permission, and/or (2) they were not paid
    (and remember that ST:NV sold a lot of copies).

    Lubkin

and here we find out what happened. Could someone tell me which stories
were (supposedly?) mangled? I want to know whether they were the ones I
liked. Not getting paid I beleive is illegal, they shoudl have recourse,
but as for editing, I believe that is rather common... didnt Harlan
complain about it? :-) I liked New Voyages a lot also... (not that I am
saying they dont have a complaint about being edited...)

     I will say it once again: I was wrong, Im sorry, dont hit me please!

*sigh*
/amqueue
-------