From: ihnp4!tektronix!carlc
Date: Monday, 8 Jul 85 11:10:57 PDT
Subject: request for .45 discussion

I'd like to see a discussion of .45 semi-automatic pistols.  I recall
hearing that there are several varieties as well as several kinds
of ammunition.  I'd always thought that the main choice one had in
a .45 was blue steel vs. nickel-plated; apparently I was wrong.

-- Carl

---------------

From: William Martin <qantel!ihnp4!seismo!ALMSA-1.ARPA!control>
Date:     Wed, 10 Jul 85 12:19:11 CDT
Subject:  Firearms Owner's Protection Bill

[ Due to some pressure and rather convincing arguments, I've decided to
allow these sort of articles that do, after all, concern us all. Flames
still bounce back though! - (BTW, hope this one passes) jh]

For the Digest and for the new moderated guns list:

Just heard on the radio news this morning that the Firearms Owner's
Protection Bill passed the Senate handily, vote of 77 to 15 or thereabouts.
(However, being NPR's Morning Edition, they emphasized the anti-gun
arguments in discussing it, though they did finally admit it really
merely reduces the hassles for ordinary gun owners & buyers.)

Anyway, they then said it would go to the House, "where no action
on it is expected in the near future" (or words just about that).

What I am wondering is whether all this effort, and all the NRA expense
of legislative alerts, etc. (I got one of those red postcards, too) was
worth anything. If it is just going to sit and die in the House, what
was all the effort and publicity for? Anybody have any hard info on
what the bill's chances are in the House, and when it will be considered?

Will Martin

ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA    UUCP/Usenet: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin

------------

Date: 10 Jul 85 16:40:48 CDT (Wed)
From: ihnp4!houxf!9234dwz
Subject: Ammunition corrosion

Living as I do in a coastal area all my firearms are of
stainless steel.
For long term storage(or on my boat) what kind of corrosion
protection would be best for my ammunition, for shotgun
and cartridge ?

           Dave Peak at  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"All the nets a stage and all the men and women merely ham actors !"
- The Rev Peak

---------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 85 15:25:11 edt
From: Alan Roberts <ihnp4!decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!amr>
Subject: In Search of the Perfect Automatic . . .

I am a handgun owner who has only used revolvers in the past, but am now
considering the purchase of a semi-automatic pistol.  Does anyone in the
group have advice/suggestions for a first-time semi-auto purchase?  The
weapon should be multi-purpose (i.e. a good solution for home defense,
moderate target shooting, and possibly combat range work, if I can locate
a police or other range in the area that will let me shoot there).  Incredible
accuracy is not needed, since I don't really plan on competing, but I do
want reasonable performance from the gun with no customization.  I did a
fair amount of shooting during high-school days, and then cost and time caused
me to drift away from it during college.  I want to start spending more
time shooting, so I am looking for a pistol which is very durable, and
can be easily maintained.  Cost of ammunition is also a factor (I can
reload at my parent's home, but its a long drive, so I want to purchase
a substantial amount of ammunition).  Possible ideas include:

	1.  Beretta (sp?) P2SP 9mm, which I have been told has finally
		been approved as the U.S. military's new sidearm.
		I understand this pistol performed very well in the
		military testing, and would expect ammunition to
		be inexpensively available soon if not already,
		for the careful shopper (I can drive to the Fort
		Bragg area to shop).  On the other hand, the cost
		for the pistol itself seems pretty high.  [ But worth it, - jh]

	2.  Colt .45.  The main advantage I see (or perhaps just
		imagine) here is that the cost for the pistol should
		be better, given the numbers manufactured for the
		government.  Is, or will there be, a significant
		surplus sale of this weapon when the changeover
		to the Beretta occurs?  How about the used market?

Other suggestions would be welcomed, as would any information from owners
of either of the above concerning their experiences with reliability,
problems, success with various types of ammunition (I have been told that
reliable feed with reloads and hollow-point ammunition has been a problem
with Colt's).

					Cheers,

					Alan Roberts
					Research Triangle Institute
					(decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!amr)
---------------

Date: Thu Jul 11 18:13:49 PDT 1985
From: Jordan Hubbard <The Moderator>
Subject: AM(P? T?) Hardballer .45 . . . advice?

I've recently acquired a yen for a .45 that shoots with a little more
accuracy than my Combat Commander and was looking fondly at the Colt
Gold Cup as my next purchase. However, a friend a gun store suggested
a stainless steel auto called 'the hardballer' (suggestive, isn't it?)
or the hardballer longslide for even tighter groups. This weapon is made by
a company he refered to as 'AMP' though I'm pretty sure he meant 'AMT'.
The price is certainly right, and AMT (if they are indeed the manufacturer)
has put out some fairly decent backup autos if they're to be of any gauge..

Has anyone had any experience with this weapon? Any particular horror
stories about AMT? I'm a Colt man myself, I've never owned anything made
by them.. Gold cup's nice, but $$$...

BTW, the price I was quoted on the AMT was $315.00, new.

						- Jordan

End of guns digest 1:1

			Jordan K. Hubbard
			@ Genstar Rental Electronics.
			Palo Alto, CA.
			{pesnta, decwrl, dual, pyramid}!greipa!jordan