[mod.rec.guns] Gun Digest 1:4

jordan@greipa.UUCP (The Moderator) (08/06/85)

Guns Digest		Mon Aug  5 18:21:50 PDT 1985	Digest 1:4

Topics:

                     Re: Gun Digest 1:3 (Ruger SA pistols)
                          32 H&R Magnum, Experiences?
                     Re: Gun Digest 1:3 (Ammo storage life)
              The merits of 'digestification'. What do you think?

Date: Mon Jul 29 12:54:43 1985
From: decwrl!ihnp4!ihlpa!dob
Subject: Re: Gun Digest 1:3

Ruger has not widely publicized the fact, but they now make a Bisely
model of their single action revolver. They will make it in all
calibers of their current S.A. line (from .22 to the big one, 44Mag).
The frame is blue with 7.5 inch barrel on the models >= 357Mag and
6.5 inch barrel on the two smaller ones (.22 and 32Mag (sic)).
All but the .22 sport fully adjustable rear sights. The .22 is
adjustable for windage only. These may not be readily available in
your dealer's display case; you may have to ask him to order you one.
My .22 has been on order since May.

I can answer specific questions; I have a fact sheet at home.

---

			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			IH 4A-258, x 4782
			Naperville-Wheaton Road
			Naperville, IL 60566

----------

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 85 17:38:55 PDT
From: qantel!hplabs!amdahl!ems (ems)
Subject: 32 H&R Magnum, Experiences?

I am thinking of buying a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R Mag.  Has
anyone had experience with the 32 H&R Mag.?  (I know Ruger is good,
having shot several of them ...)

Does Ruger make the 32 H&R in stainless steel yet?  Also, who else
makes guns in the 32 H&R chambering?

(ems @ Circle C Shellfish Ranch, Shores-of-the-Pacific, Ca)
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

----------

Date: Sat, 3 Aug 85 17:21:38 pdt
From: decwrl!qantel!proper!jfk

Regarding the life of ammunition:
In 1977, I bought some pistol primers made in the 1940's.
Old timers will remember that they came in wooden boxes.
They worked just fine.
I would expect that any ammunition not subjected to high
temperatures ( let's say over 68 degrees F.) or high humidity
should last forever.  The first thing to deteriorate
will probably be the IMR powder (single base).  The double base
powders (WW and Hodgdon ball powders) have a longer self life.

The NRA has conducted test in this area.  Members may
receive reasonably expert information from that organization.
Another source of such information, old as it is, nothing
can replace Hatcher's Notebook.

----------

Date: Mon Aug  5 18:28:08 PDT
From: jordan@greipa.UUCP (the moderator)
Subject: The merits of 'digestification'. What do you think?

Well, this is our fourth digest, and things seem to be going along
pretty well (I'm certainly getting some use out of it!). However,
I am beginning to wonder about the merits of the digest system for
this group. Some people have complained that subjects on related
topics don't stay together and that I'm not joining followups
with the original articles... Well, if I waited for 'all' replies
for an article to dribble in, I'd never get a digest out. Same
goes for topic grouping. How many articles is 'enough' to send out
a batch?

In any case, what I'm asking is whether the current format is
acceptable or whether you'd like me to pass articles along as
soon as I get them. I see no way to make the digest format
'pay off' with the current level of submissions, though I have
no real bones to pick with it. People have also pointed out that
searching through subject headers and whatnot would be nicer
if I'd just leave each submission as a seperate article.

Let me know what you think and I'll make my decision in a few
weeks. Since this isn't our topic of discussion, I won't
post a summary! (And keep those articles coming!)

				 -- Jordan.
End of digest 1:4
--
		Jordan K. Hubbard
		{pesnta, decwrl, dual, pyramid}!greipa!jordan

		"Here we have two bull limpits, locked in a life-or-death
		"struggle."