[mod.rec.guns] Survivalism

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (08/26/86)

Article: 8:4

[Sorry everyone, things have gotten a little behind. My apologies to the
authors that gave up any hope of seeing their postings on the net. -jh]

I realize that this netgroup was created for discussions on firearms, but
this seems like the most likely place to post this.

I am interested in talking with others about the topic of survival.  Whether
it be natural disasters or those that are man made.

If you are interested in this topic please feel free to write me.

Kirk De Haan

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/04/86)

Article: 9:1

Moderator's note:

[Sigh.. Looks like guns are a fading topic here, but survivalism fever
has been caught so we might as well let it run its course. How about
some discussion on good weapons for survival? I'm kind of curious about
the best mix between durability/reliability and effectiveness myself. -jh]

In article <1172@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> you write:
>[...]
>I am interested in talking with others about the topic of survival. Whether
>it be natural disasters or those that are man made.
>If you are interested in this topic please feel free to write me.
>Kirk De Haan

Kirk,
I'm not sure *exactly* what you mean by "survival" as that word has three
not entirely independent definitions in my book. My interest is currently
more towards the "benign" wilderness-existence aspect, but I am interested
in anything that's to be said in any of the three areas.

My three definitions:
 Survival as in "malignant" post-holocaust existance (popular SF topic),
 Survival as in (usually barely) staying alive to return to civilization,
 Survival as in living in wilderness (return to nature).

Bill Swan	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/04/86)

Article: 9:2

I'm interested in discussing survival, survivalism, etc.  Keep me posted...

Glenn

Glenn C. Scott
System Development Corporation, 2525 Colorado Ave, Santa Monica, CA. 90406
213-820-4111 X5653	UUCP: glenn@sdcrdcf.UUCP   ARPA: Scott@DOCKMASTER.ARPA

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/04/86)

Article: 9:3

I'm interested in Survivalism.  I've found only two alternatives:
1)	Total Self Sufficiency:	Very Difficult even with a nuclear family
2)	Community Self Sufficiency:	Alternative Society
--
Sunny Kirsten
853 Baker St.