[mod.rec.guns] Gun security

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (08/29/86)

Article: 8:8

A couple of months ago one of my neighbors told me that there had been a rash
of burglaries in the area.  I promptly took my guns, including a several
thousand dollar antique that belonged to my grandfather, to my parents house,
and locked them in a gun cabinet there.  It turned out to be a good move, as
last week I was broken into.  Upon finding my ammo, the perpetrator appeared
to search relentlessly for the weapons that go with it.

With hunting season coming up, I am going to need to keep my guns at home
again.  But how can I protect them from theft, in a fairly low cost way?
I thought about running a bike lock through the trigger guards and around
a pipe.  But the only exposed pipes are in my rather damp basement.  Is this
a bad idea, moisture or not?  Any other ideas?  Please help.

Alan Geist
tektronix!shark!alang

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/04/86)

Article: 9:4

Alan, You need to hide your gunns and ammo. Try to find the Mother Earth News
that had a Water Heater Gun closet in it last year.
                                                       Rick
--
/*  This is the standard disclaimer that the above junk is mine alone.  */
/*                  path={hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!wre                      */

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/10/86)

Article: 9:8

In article <1196@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> you write:
>Article: 8:8
>
>With hunting season coming up, I am going to need to keep my guns at home
>again.  But how can I protect them from theft, in a fairly low cost way?

One thing I've thought effective is to disassemble each gun
somewhat.   Something like removing and hiding the bolt from a bolt
action rifle makes it unattractive to crooks.  This won't work with
everything but can help.  Putting a sign on the gun rack advertising the
disassembly also discourages theft.  I keep the small parts that I
remove from the guns in my car trunk -- who would steal a rifle
bolt?
Cheap enough for you?
Bruce Jones

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/10/86)

Article: 9:9

In article <1196@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> you write:
>Article: 8:8
>
>A couple of months ago one of my neighbors told me that there had been a rash
>of burglaries in the area.  I promptly took my guns, including a several
>thousand dollar antique that belonged to my grandfather, to my parents house,
>and locked them in a gun cabinet there.  It turned out to be a good move, as
>last week I was broken into.  Upon finding my ammo, the perpetrator appeared
>to search relentlessly for the weapons that go with it.
>
>With hunting season coming up, I am going to need to keep my guns at home
>again.  But how can I protect them from theft, in a fairly low cost way?
>I thought about running a bike lock through the trigger guards and around
>a pipe.  But the only exposed pipes are in my rather damp basement.  Is this
>a bad idea, moisture or not?  Any other ideas?  Please help.
>
>Alan Geist
>tektronix!shark!alang

A good friend of mine (and a professional gunsmith and former deputy) recommends
the following:
1)  Buy a gun safe.  (I realize they're very expensive, and you may not
be able to afford one at present, but they are certainly cheaper than
replacing one's collection.)  A little trick he also taught me is
to stencil the words "DANGER: POWDER MAGAZINE  DO NOT SUBJECT TO
HEAT OR PERCUSSION--CONTAINS BLACK POWDER AND PERCUSSION CAPS" on
the outside of it in both English and Spanish.  Only someone very
stupid or illiterate would then attempt to torch or "cut and peel"
your safe open.  Besides, if you reload (as I do), your warning
could very well be true.

2)  Until you can afford a safe, keep your bolts, actions or other small,
detachable "critical mechanisms" separate from the rest of your
firearms, definitely not in the same house.  This makes your
weapons unattractive for immediate criminal use, and fairly worth-
less to a "fence."  Locking your weapons to water pipes, etc.,
probably isn't such a good idea since a criminal in your home
might have plenty of time to cut the lock or pipe unseen.  Besides,
I don't think I'd like to keep anything I cared about in a damp
basement.

3)  Insure, photograph, and record the serial numbers for all of your guns.
There are no foolproof or cheap ways to prevent theft, but at least
you may be able to salvage some monetary value from your collection
and help the police in the event that it is stolen.

Best wishes for a good hunt,
Ralph Herbig

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/17/86)

Article: 9:20

RE: Who would steal a bolt?
Maybe they won't steal your bolt, but what about your
car?  Also, many rifles must have the bolt fitted
to the chamber at the factory.

Jon Kaplowitz
ihnp4!erc3ba!jfka