[mod.rec.guns] Mail.Firearms: Leading, Shaving, etc

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (10/10/86)

Article: 10:4

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 86 14:27:45 edt
From: Charles Bennett <ihnp4!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!uchuck>
Subject: Leading, Shaving, etc

The person with the leading, shaving problem with Federal .357 SWC ammo may
have a problem other than the ammo.  I do not say Federal is bad or good.
The following story, however, may be of interest.

My shooting buddy and I have set up our reloading bench over the past 18
months and we ran into a very interesting problem.  He has a 4" S&W Model
58 and intends to use it in IPSC competition, so we *must reload* in order
to be able to afford to shoot it enough.  We purchased 1000 rounds of 215gr
SWC lead bullets and began working up a load.  SEVERE leading and shaving.
So much so that after approximately 40 rounds the cylinder began to freeze.
We consulted Fred Schmidt the gunsmith who modified the weapon for competition
use.  Fred said the bullets where .413 instead of .410.  We didn't see that
.003 inch could make that much difference and asked him to "slug" the
barrel.  He said it was a S&W with five lands and groves instead of 4 or 6 like
other manufacturers and direct measurements could not be taken.  Well, I
being a computer programmer and loving to solve problems, said that I was
sure a mathematical/geometrical solution was possible.  So we set about
building a measuring block.  I doing the design and programming, Fred the
actual machining.  We succeeded and had a "V" block and a program for
calibrating each serial numbered block.  The barrel turned out to be
.4074.  Yes, the gauge is accurate to +/- .0001.  We ordered 5000 rounds
of 215gr SWC sized to .408 and everything is beautiful.  As a matter of
fact accuarcy is *unbelievable* - 1" at 50 yards out of a 4" barrel.

As a postscript, Fred Schmidt died in May of this year and all of the
blocks he made were sold shortly after his death.  He will be missed
by anyone who had the pleasure of his company.

The object of the story is - slug your barrel, you may have a tight one.
If it is a S&W, send me the slug.  I will be glad to measure it for you.

Chuck Bennett (uchuck@ecsvax)
919-966-1134 (work)
919-489-1969 (home)
--